Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Faulkner Collection of Mexican 8 Reales (1977)

I just came across and ordered an interesting mail bid catalog and was wondering if anyone is familiar with this collection. I have never heard of it and a few quick google searches didn't return much about the sale. The catalog is called "The Faulkner Collection of Mexican Ocho Reales: A mail bid auction closes July 15, 1977" by Aztlan Coin Co Inc of El Paso, TX. The preface talking about the Faulkner Collection caught my eye:

Over 95% of the following lots offered in this mail bid auction are from the Faulkner collection. Mr. Faulkner spent over 30 years putting this collection of 8 Real coins together having stopped buying coins in the year 1961. It was Mr. Faulkner's wish that his collection be auctioned so that his coins be distributed in the widest possible way. One will note that he attempted to assemble a complete date set of the very popular Mexican 8 Real coins from 1733 to 1896, including one example each of all known Insurgent mint issues and counterstamped coins of the Royalist forces. With the exception of very few coins, he completed his task. I know for a fact that since the famous Pradeau/Bothamley sale of 1970/1971, I cannot recall any one collection of 8 reales by date being offered in such completeness at public sale. In any event from common to rare, there's a little something for every one in this sale and I wish you the best of luck in your bids. ... W. Larry Hanks, President

Will be interesting to see how comprehensive the collection was and if it included varieties / overdates / overassayers.

Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of it, but Larry Hanks is still in business in El Paso. You might ask him.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pruebas

Never heard of it, but Larry Hanks is still in business in El Paso. You might ask him.

Thanks! I'll reach out to Larry.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Probably the ""Pillar King"" bought a lot of Mr.Faulkner's coins,
    his collection was sold in London in 1996
    Alexander (Sandy) Patterson, nicknamed the Pillar King, born in California 1920 - died in 1994 Pensacola Florida.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.