Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help me find a value on a coin?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got a batch of stuff back last week from ATS and I could have sworn I found a comp. Now I can't find anything.

1930 Bulgaria 20 Leva NGC MS63

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick check doesn't show anything sold at Heritage, Ebayers are asking in the $50s for AUs, the NGC registry set scores are not lofty, the NGC (Krause) price guide for MS60 is $13 (no price given for MS 63), and there are 22 graded at NGC with 8 at MS63, one 64 and one 65.

Overall, if I had a liking for Bulgarian coins and/or was doing the NGC registry set I'd probably expect to pay $60-$75 for it. Not too many specimens but plenty raw ones available and I'm guessing the low population is due to the lower value coin.

Oh, and it's not a super new registry ATS so I'm doubting a sudden surge in interest due to the presence of a new set.

Just the results of a 5 minute Google-fu for a ballpark range and I could be totally off. But, if I was suddenly starting a Bulgarian coin collection from the 1930s, that is what I'd be thinking.

Cathy

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I guess it's all perspective!

Here's you: There are 22 graded at NGC with 8 at MS63, one 64 and one 65.

Here's me: Though an original mintage of over 10,000,000 pieces, NGC has graded only a handful, including several circulated pieces but only 14 mint state examples--of which only two grade higher than this piece.

I thought for sure I'd seen a 63 sell north of $150. But now I can't find that auction.

Thanks image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also a good way to put it image

Maybe the $150 was an eBay auction that at aged out of the search function? Goodness knows the price guides are lacking and the pop numbers are hard to interpret. Part of the fun of the darkside!

I read on one of the boards 'the price guide is what you wish you could sell your US coins for, and what you wish you could pay for the foreign ones'...or words to that effect.