Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

A.U. Original PPQ/EPQ Currency Underrated ?

Picked up this Light Green Seal Atlanta Dist. $500. at the GNA show in Dalton GA Friday
and it's a Beautiful Very Original $500. LGS example at half the price of a comparable 63PPQ example and more appealing to me.
I guess everyone has their currency niche and nice Original A.U. stuff is what I keep for
my collection. I think the original A.U. notes whether ungraded or Certified, are underrated
and underappreciated in both price and aesthetics... While many collector's are concentrating on registry sets' and higher graded top-pop example's for their collections, it's hard to argue with high-end Original A.U. notes offering both beauty and originality at an affordable price-point which many seem to pass-by on their way to their chosen quality level.
The GNA was also an active show with many familiar forum members, lots of attendees and lots of buying and
selling... It's one of the better shows to attend in the Spring with 350 dealer's, Mountain air, and blooming dogwood's to balance the rising temperatures.
Good Security, ample free parking and a plethora of good restaurants' and hotels make the GNA show an easy mark on my calendar every year...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"having money's not everything and not having it is."

-Kanye West

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree Greg. Beautiful note sir.
  • techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    image +1; really nice note, sir!
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Real nice note! Congrats! image

And thank you for the show report. I enjoy them a lot.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet note! Enjoyed seeing you at the show.
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd have to cut that one out of the slab and spend it...NOT! image
  • vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    I think AU PQ notes represent some of the best relative values in collecting today, at least for what I collect.

This is particularly true when these notes have a lone minor flaw (corner bend, light fold or bend) yet exhibit every other essential quality you'd find in a "gem" or even "superb" examples for a literal fraction of the cost.

Here are some prime AU PQ examples I've acquired over the years:

I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    You bet !!

I have seen AU55 and AU58 notes cross over as CU's.
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    vibr0nic, great notes there. Thanks for sharing!!! image

I will let you guess my favorite.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • image 100%

Nothing wrong with less than 60s notes; they work great with my budget.image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Well, that Fr. 1179 changed my mind. I would not spend it!
  • i agree - probably couldnt afford this as a 6X Q note:

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    The AU PPG notes are great, do not discredit how nice they are by the number.

A few years back I started to submit my collection in 32 different submissions to PCGS. The first returns made me look closely as some I had bought in the 1990's as Ch/Gem CU came back as 58PPQ and I hit the wall. Looking closer and talking with Jim61 who gave me tips on LED lights showed that sure enough, PCGS caught those notes correctly, albeit quite conservative and very consistent.

I'm happy and a return customer
  • larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Yeah usually I can spot the issue on the 58ppq/epq's but once in a while I absolutely can't find anything wrong. In those cases it gets cut out and sent to the other company and will nearly always come back 63-67.
  • best bang for the buck for sure. are those your notes vibrionic?
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larry510

Yeah usually I can spot the issue on the 58ppq/epq's but once in a while I absolutely can't find anything wrong. In those cases it gets cut out and sent to the other company and will nearly always come back 63-67.

Hopefully PCGS (and sometimes PMG) keeps their strict grading standards.

If a collector knows what to look for, and the note is actually a CU, this is a great way to buy a note for a rip. Especially for notes that would otherwise be unaffordable in CU.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that a similar case can be made for the F-XF grades for the rarer types. Good bang for the buck.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Look in the census. I bet most of these AU notes were listed as CU/GEM prior to the evolution of the TPG craze. The grading standards many years ago weren't as stringent as they are today.