Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

20th Century Type Set, No Gold - Circulation Strikes (1900-1999) and a SMS Nickel????????

Should the 1994 and 1997 SMS Jefferson be used or allowed in the 20th Century Type Set, No Gold - Circulation Strikes (1900-1999) set?
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• I didn't think they were allowed. If they are, I have a big upgrade from my current MS67FS. Does someone have one in their registry set?
  • keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    The piece is supposed to be allowed in the With Varieties set as the SMS piece, but should not be allowed otherwise. Same with the 98-S Kennedy
    Keith ™

• TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I have a 94 Jeff SMS in my with varieties set. Didn't register a basic set, so I don't know about that.

"The Registry Says To Buy It, And So You Must!"image

Greg
  • keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Greg, you are using the coin for the SMS slot. You have a 66FS as well (unless you are referring to the Mixed set and not the CS)?

Keith ™

• The Michael Jobes Collection is using a SMS Nickel in the 1938-1999 Jefferson Nickel Type I slot of the 20th Century Major Types, No Gold Type Set, Circulation Strike. This is not the with Varieties Set, this is the Major Type Only C/S set.

Link to set using SMS Nickel in Type I Jefferson Nickel Slot
  • They did carry the SMS nickel over into my "No Varieties" set... I wonder if that's an error on their part. It doesn't seem like that should be allowed.

madmike
    (Owner of the Michael Jobes Collection)
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Keith:

Yes, I am using it for the SMS slot. I thought that's what we were talking about. I guess not. I had better shut up until I get on the curve.image

Greg
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Mike's not the only one. Goya just added it to his set also. I sent BJ an email to check into it for us.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Here is BJ's answer:

<< <i>Bill,

Only the 65, 66, and 67 SMS years are considered the proof type. They come graded CA and DC. The 94 and 97 SMS are considered CS. It has always been that way in the registry.

BJ >>

So I guess it's time for everyone to adds theirs in.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill.. All,

I too am guilty of this. Once I saw it in Goya's set about a week or so after the set was added, instead of saying anything right away, I thought I would add it to mine and see how long it would take for someone to catch it. Two nights ago I noticed it was now in 3 of the basic sets. I expected to remove it once this error was caught and corrected, but now it seems it was not an error. Hmm... Wonder if one could use it in the Varieties set? Say a half in the SMS column and the nickel the regular slot? Don't know, I have not tried. Good eye Bill, not sure why no one else caught it. image

Ken image