Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Capsules for Larger Coins - Where to get?

Quick question for which there may be no answer: does anybody know of a good source for the 61 mm size capsule that Panama 20 Balboas come in? The Air Tite do not come in this size according to their site and also the Wizard site....
Thanks for any help.
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Air-tite model Y holder is (I believe) 65mm, however the internal ring does not come cut for 61mm. I believe it comes cut for 50mm. Your best bet might be to buy a model Y and cut the styrofoam yourself to the diameter of the coin.

Be sure to buy a capsule with the insert and not a 'direct fit'
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I may be allowed to add my own related question to this thread...

I am considering buying capsules (both the hard plastic as well as the softer ones are in consideration) for my more precious Anglo-Saxon hammered pieces. The problem I faced at the recent Baltimore show was that there was no good size. My pennies range from 17mm to 24mm. My sceattas, less fragile, range from 11mm to 13mm. I didn't want to have to buy too many different solutions. I prefer a solution that utilizes a soft plastic capsule with a white foam internal ring.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, including where I may be able to order this stuff online (decent quality, price and shipping preferred!).

TIA,

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    A soft plastic capsule (like a Kointain) with a styrofoam ring may not exist, at least I have not come across it.

I have a mixed love-hate with the airtites, though I do use them for all me coins. I feel like the plastic scuffs easily and also seems to attract residue from the coins (which are frequently dirty) making the plastic less see thru
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, good suggestions there! Will give it a go...
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for EVP-- would something like a single size Kointains ('small dollar' size is 26.5 mm) and then cut your own inserts? Then you could have a uniform look but adapt to each coin. You might even find a local industrial type company that could cut the inserts out for you if you know what kind of material you want. My very short google-fu did not find something like this pre done.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    First, I want to apologize to 7Jag for hijacking his thread. I honestly didn't mean to dominate this. That being said...

It seems to me that Air-Tite capsules are hard plastic (it's actually their thickness that bothers me, not the hardness). And, the soft ones are Kointains, but have no foam rings? So if I want to use Kointains, then I'd have to buy the right-sized rings separately? If so, that seems like a lot of bother: I'd need to make sure the rings can fit inside the Kointain capsules (internal capsule diameter and thickness) and then worry about the ring diameter for my coins?

Given my current storage situation with my hammered coins, I'm not sure it's worth such effort. What I absolutely do not like is Nap's storage method, even though it is way more secure than my method. I currently have them in PVC-free flips with my own custom tags. Eventually they may go into these nice display cases that I got from an Italian manufacturer (when the coins are at home, that is). The true measure of how much my wife loves me is how long she can pretend to listen to me talk about my coins. image

EVP

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never underestimate the ability of a wife to tune out hobby talk. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Stork
    Never underestimate the ability of a wife to tune out hobby talk. image

Leading up to the first Baltimore show she went with me, she was saying all sorts of nice stuff about how she wants to learn about coins so she can help me find the stuff I like. In my mind, I was thinking that no way that will happen.

So we arrive on Thursday afternoon and she goes to the acquarium. That's fine. Friday she makes a big deal about wanting to go to the bourse, so she registers and follows me in. After 15 minutes, she says that she's going shopping and leaves for the waterfront.

People like to say that it's the thought that counts, but in this case does it really? image

EVP

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, at least she can pretend. Oops, that sounds bad.
  • Options
    Optimally I would put all my coins in Kointains that are perfectly sized for 11, 12, and 13 mm coins. Then put the coins in the Kointains in 1.5x1.5 (or smaller) flips with a coin tag (a round one of course).

This I haven't done mostly because Kointain doesn't make holders in the sizes I'd want.

I don't like the idea of small coins in large flips as they look like they are swimming in such a big piece of plastic. For larger diameter coins it's not a big deal. However for some of the more fragile coins I have, I would be afraid to keep them in anything other than a hard plastic holder.