Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage baseball cards with wartime illustrated backs?

Are there any baseball card backs mentioning the player being a member of the armed forces or illustrated to show this? Would like to get some together for middle school social studies classes covering WWI/II.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    All I can think of is not vintage: 07 Topps had an insert series about players who had served in the armed forces. Included Ted Williams, Hank sauer and sibby sisti among others.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't there a couple in the 59 Fleer Ted Williams set?
  • Options
    D'oh! Yes, yes there are.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you're willing to go non-sports, the 1938 Horrors of War set is fantastic, but perhaps a bit gruesome for middle schoolers. 1984 reprint sets are fairly affordable or pick a few of your favorite singles.

I have a spare 59F #23 Williams Wins His Wings I'd be willing to donate for this, just drop me a PM with your address.
  • Options
    I fairly certain some 56 Topps' backs mention war service if not feature them in uniform in the cartoon. If I get a chance at the start of next week I'll check my set.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The #1 card in '41 Goudey notes it:

imageimageimageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Here is a past article about baseball in Wartime, by forum member Chris Stufflestreet in Old Cardboard. Chris passed away a few years ago at 39, but he was always interested in players that, like him, had served in the military. Baseball in the Military

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    1959 Fleer Ted Williams

Follow this link. It has some decent picks of the Fronts and Backs of the 59 Fleer Ted Williams cards that you seek.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was teaching history, I would do an assignment where the students would pick a famous person in US History and make them into a baseball card. They would have to come up with a team name and design the front and back of the card. Something like John Wilkes Booth of the Confederate Assasins or Harrriet Tubman of the Maryland Railroad. I might have enjoyed the assignment more than the students.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the assistance thus far. Really appreciate the images, links, and offers. Please keep them coming image At the moment I don't know if I'm teaching social studies or language arts, but if it's the former I'll let those who offered cards know. pdub - I love your activity and will incorporate it somehow even if I don't teach social studies.