Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question on value of a set

I have a question on the value of a complete set from the 60's. The set is graded and on the Registry. The set has rating of just over 8.50. The main question I have is how does centering affect the price. What I mean is that the set in question has 69% of the cards are perfectly centered, 28% are no worse than 55/45 and the remaining 3% are centered about 58/42. With centered cards at such a premium these days, what is a set that is so nicely centered throughout worth over, say VCP value. There are sets that have a higher rating, but I do not think they can match the centering. I can certainly give detail as of the grades of stars, etc. if that will help some to determine value.

Registry sets:
1954 Topps BB
1955 Bowman BB
1956 Topps Super BB
1957 Topps BB
1969 Topps BB
1984 Donruss BB
1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Can you give a link to the registry?
  • Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Sure. The set is under Starfire's 1969 set and is #13 in the Basic sets and has a rating of 8.54.

P.S. I have a nicely centered Hank Aaron card in the mail to replace the one on the Registry right now.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    http://www.psacard.com/psasetr...blishedset.aspx?s=2567

Its a pretty set of cards - Are you wanting to sell and that's why you are asking for value? Albeit, centering is a big draw, but it depends on if you are planning on selling this as a whole set, or as a set break yourself or through Novella, PWCC, etc.
  • Options
    I have had people asking if I want to sell the set now and then. I have someone now that is willing to pay more than a rock bottom price for the whole set. I am working on getting all the cards to be centered at least 55/45. I am not sure it is worth the time and effort to do that or not. I will sell the set sooner or later. I would like to use the money to complete/upgrade some of my 1950's sets.

You bring up a good question. Is it better to sell the whole set or as a set break. Is the time and effort to break up the set worth it as opposed to selling the whole set at once. If someone could guestimate about how much the set is worth as a whole and how much I might get by breaking it down, that would be fantastic.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I would let PWCC handle it and maybe even ask them if they can give you some sort of a break considering you're cosigning the entire set/so many cards. On the other hand, it might be better to split the set up in three or four of PWCC's auctions instead of all at once. Best of luck.
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for letting Brent at pwcc handle it. Maybe just shoot him an email and ask advice on how he thinks it could be handled. It's also nice that he recently lowered some of his thresholds, so my personal benchmark with him dropped from $100 to $50.
  • Options
    Good ideas. However, I am still looking for some kind of value for the set as a whole. Is it worth more than VCP value? If so how much, 5%, 10%, 20%, more? You that have built Registry sets know how much time and effort it takes to find so many cards in one set that have such nice centering, not to mention the premium prices you need to pay for some of the cards.

It is such a nice set with so many nicely centered cards, I almost hate to break it up.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    IMO the set is worth VCP and no more. VCP already tells a customer what the high value is for the card and conversely tells the potential buyer what an off centered card brings. Good luck
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO centering is always worth more
    If u sell as a set then it limits who can afford to buy it.

I would break it up and offer shipping discounts. Sell the big cards individually and maybe into smaller lots by team and or grade.

The Mantle is super sweet.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I appreciate your input. Gives me some things to think about. Thanks again.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants