Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice on breaking a 1957 baseball set mostly PSA 8

I have a 1957 baseball set to sell. Completely graded, roughly 5 PSA 9, 10 psa 8,5, 364 PSA 8's, 1 PSA 7.5, and 28 PSA 7. Not sure what course to take to maximize the return. Full set sale, or card by card break. Fees on a card by card break can really add up. Would like to hear experiences, ideas for the sale.

Thanks in advance for help. (I've been in touch with some dealers already, but thought I should ask in an open forum to get further input.)

The Dude
Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you thought about letting PWCC handle the sale? They have been getting some pretty big numbers on high grade cards lately. What grade are the key cards?

James
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what it's worth, but how about trying one of those random set breaks where people buy slots? I think OPC baseball guy has done them in the past. They are gimmicky, but it could raise a good amount. That's a pretty big set, but could it sell out at $75 a card or whatever you would need?
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I just had Brent auction my Topps baseball 1971 PSA 8 complete set, card by card. His consignment rate cost me less than my own eBay fees would have run, and he got well over VCP for the grand total.

No brainer.
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Wanted to thank those who responded here on the boards, and to the many PM's I recieved. Leaning towards a PWCC break of the set, and yes, all the HOF'ers are in PSA 8. Many are well centered.

Thanks again, the Dude.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    breaking allows more people to bid.

I cannot afford to buy the whole set but individual cards yes.

You can also put the $ you want and sell here on the B S T section with no fees.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets