Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps Reggie on eBay

I was watching this PWCC auction for a PSA 7 1971 Topps Jackson last night and then it went crazy at the end. Can anyone explain this for me? I don't see why someone would bid over $750 for that card.

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wow! I don't get that at all for a PSA 7.
    Daniel
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Especially when 4SC is selling one for one-fifth of that...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-T...4191-146-/361534004333

My only guess is that maybe they saw the PWCC version as undergraded and looking to resub. It would be a stretch, but I guess possible.

Other theories exist too...
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Maybe because of the centering. I don't buy resub since it would probably need a 9 to make the price paid worth it, and that card isn't getting 9. Centered really seems to be getting an even higher premium recently, but this seems extreme. That or someone has a 9 that they want to put up and they're boosting lower grade sales.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be the winner put in a very high bid to win it...carelessly thinking no one else would do the same thing---placing an unrealistically high bid. Well...he or she won but paid through the nose to have it.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a funny feeling the winner forgot a decimal place in their manual bid (e.g. $15000 instead of $150.00) and ran into a nuclear snipe that the underbidder didn't think anyone would top. I'm not sure how the underbidder could have three bids for the exact same amount at the same time either unless they had multiple snipe programs set to go off to make sure they didn't miss it.

Anyone expecting that card to bump anything above perhaps a 7.5 needs to have their eyes checked.
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    I bet you're right. That's a painful lesson.
  • Options
    I'm going to buy all the PSA 8's I can find. They have to be worth more after that PSA 7 sale, right?
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Batpig
    I bet you're right. That's a painful lesson.

Not really.............they will never pay.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    1971 Topps 8's have been selling for crazy prices lately. Both stars and commons. I didn't know 7's were selling that high?

I have a 71 Reggie PSA 7. Anyone want to give me $700, I will gladly accept.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    SMH at this one.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    I know the '71s very well and that Reggie PSA 7 look far better than a lot of 8's I've seen. Maybe I'm missing something on it, but there are some really ugly PSA 8's in that year. Have to be really careful to buy the card, not the holder in that year.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    No way the bidder will end up paying for that auction IMO. Otherwise, defiantly a "fishy" bidding history. Wild...
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ugaskidawg
    Especially when 4SC is selling one for one-fifth of that...

"was" selling.....