Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Couple of Ancient Greek NEWPS

Well most things seemed to go under estimate in the ancients at Heritage tonight at CICF, I would have bought more but I need to keep a little money back for the German and British tomorrow. Still I was happy to get these (auction description and photos):

I guess I just have a thing for Lesbian coins, and I had not seen one with this slightly angled head of Athena, just love the obverse design.

LESBOS. Mytilene. Ca. 377-326 BC. EL sixth stater or hecte (11mm, 2.55 gm, 12h). Head of Athena facing slightly right, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet / Head of Hermes right, wearing kausia behind his draped neck, within linear square. Bodenstedt Em. 86 (dies d/G). HGC 6, 1012. SNG Copenhagen 319. Struck from dies of pleasing style. NGC AU 4/5 - 4/5.

Besides being a rare type, this one has a cow, and you know we Texans love a cow. Now known as Corfu it is the second largest of the Ionian Island.

Corcyra. Ca. 433-360 BC. AR stater (22mm, 10.72m, 9h). Cow standing right, head reverted, suckling calf standing left / Double stellate pattern within square border; K to right; all within incuse square with rounded edges. HGC 6, 34. Very rare. NGC Choice VF 4/5 - 3/5.

According to myth, Poseidon fell in love with the beautiful nymph Korkyra, daughter of Asopus and river nymph Metope, and abducted her.Poseidon brought Korkyra to the hitherto unnamed island and, in marital bliss, offered her name to the place: Korkyra.

Comments