Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Turkey Red reprints

First, sorry for no scans but my scanner is horrible.

I'm looking for info on Turkey Red reprints. I received a standard sized card 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 of Ty Cobb that I knew was not original. Where these cards ever reprinted by a card company? The print quality looks spot on with vintage Topps cards and does not look like the various "estate sale finds so listing as unknown". Yes.....I did buy one!

Hopefully counterfeiters are not becoming this good....yet.

Thanks, Larry

Comments

• Options
    Turkey Reds are much much larger than standard card sizes. Also if you've ever held an authentic raw example there is a big difference in how it "feels" than a standard card. Yes, they have been reprinted (in varying sizes), but no, I haven't ever ran across on that could mimic the presence of an authentic one in person.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Turkey Red cabinets should measure 5-3/4" x 8". While your modern-sized card is an obvious reprint, they have also been reprinted at the 5-3/4" x 8" size. According to Mike Wheat cards, "our reproductions... are so realistic that even veteran hobbyists have mistaken them for the real thing. Incredibly, in many cases, the richness of the color is superior to that of the originals. Each is hand-crafted, and painstaking care is taken to create an aesthetically pleasing card. Since this is a tedious process, production will necessarily be limited."

http://www.mikewheatcards.com/reproductions.htm
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GrandMasterB
    First, sorry for no scans but my scanner is horrible.

I'm looking for info on Turkey Red reprints. I received a standard sized card 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 of Ty Cobb that I knew was not original. Where these cards ever reprinted by a card company? The print quality looks spot on with vintage Topps cards and does not look like the various "estate sale finds so listing as unknown". Yes.....I did buy one!

Hopefully counterfeiters are not becoming this good....yet.

Thanks, Larry

T3s have been reprinted at least twice. The first time was a standard-sized print off the entire (baseball portion) set. I believe it was done by Renata Galasso.

The other one I know of is a set of full-sized reprints that were done by Mike Wheat Cards. Wheat also added a couple guys not in the original set.
  • Options
    "T3s have been reprinted at least twice. The first time was a standard-sized print off the entire (baseball portion) set. I believe it was done by Renata Galasso."

I think it's one of these so I bought one on eBay just to compare.

Thanks