Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MAJOR set completion

I'm excited to report that I just completed the very challenging 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set. Just got the final card, Hoyt Wilhelm yesterday. I got tired of waiting for the card to come up for sale on eBay so I reached out to a registry set holder and got lucky.

The set of 55 cards took 4 1/2 years to complete. This is definitely the highlight of my collection. The set is primarily in PSA 6 to 7 range, with 21 NQ 7's and 21 NQ 6's. Nothing lower than a 5. Following are some scans:

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Love this! Especially the Yaz!
  • Options
    foozfooz Posts: 21
    That's a huge set especially in that condition...

Congrats!!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a beast of a set, congrats!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Daniel ... What an awesome set to finish. A great addition to your collection. Now sit back every once in a while and enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on completing the set. There has always been some debate about whether the set was ever issued at retail in packs or just sold from storage after production. Some believe they have wax stains on some of their cards. While a retail box exists, I have never seen an unopened pack.

I do feel fortunate to have this with my set, which is ungraded.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    That is a major accomplishment. Congrats!

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Daniel--you know I love me the Greatest Moments. Congrats on a great accomplishment.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop

Congrats on completing the set. There has always been some debate about whether the set was ever issued at retail in packs or just sold from storage after production. Some believe they have wax stains on some of their cards. While a retail box exists, I have never seen an unopened pack.

I do feel fortunate to have this with my set, which is ungraded.

Wowza!! Sell it to me!!!!

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Daniel.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! That is a tough set to begin with, even without doing it in a higher
    condition.

What's the next project?

Dave
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all. The next project will hopefully be to stop spending so much money on baseball cards :-)
    Seriously, I am 10 cards away from completing the regular 1971 Topps set in what I would consider to be high grade. The high numbers have proven to be a challenge.

Doug (Dboneesq) has the best advice (for all of us) - sit back and enjoy the cards. We put in a lot of time acquiring but at least for myself, much less time admiring the cards.

Manny - Regarding wax stains, I do have the Roy White card graded 6 ST. I don't see anything wrong with the card but the seller told me there was a wax stain that he meant to remove before submitting the card. Who knows? I grew up in an area of Brooklyn where test issues were released. I clearly recall buying one pack of 1974 Topps Deckle Edge. I have had three 1971 TGM cards for as long as I remember but don't recall buying a pack.
    Daniel
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The 74 Deckles were definitely issued at retail. Unopened Deckle pack are fairly easy to find.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan...

What a gorgeous set! Congrats on completing it!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the accomplishment! Love the Brooks Robinson as well!
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on knocking out an awesome set. I have considered going for the set as well but don't think I can keep focused long enough to complete. Love the set. Well done!!
  • Options
    Not only is this one of the greatest looking sets of all time, it's really tough to find and complete. I've enjoyed your sporadic updates over the years and offer major kudos for your accomplishment.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That is a gorgeous set. Congrats!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Hi Daniel,

I know you've been at this one for quite some time. Amazing to complete that set. I am happy for you buddy. Make sure you also show us the 71 set once its completed. Now what do you say you show us that Hoyt image

Marc
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Someday, I might go after this set. It is truly beautiful. I like the black borders, the color portrait with the large (mostly) action black and white photo. The historical write-up on the back adds to the appeal as well as the size of the card. Also, to complete a graded set, it is not overwhelming at 55 cards and it is loaded with HOF'ers. I cannot imagine trying to complete a graded set of more than 132 cards.

For all those reasons, that is why I am a fan of the 64 Giants (which I have done) and the 83 Donruss Action All-Stars (which would be a financial loser).

I would love to see an uncut sheet. I have kept these cards on my search list for several years. There seems to be about 20-24 cards that are quite plentiful. Then maybe another 20 sporadically, with the rest almost non-existent.
  • Options
    Here is the link for an uncut sheet set that sold through REA (I think in 2007).There was a 33 card sheet and a 22 card sheet. According to the story in the auction, the cards in the 22 card sheet are more plentiful. I can attest to that by looking at the sheets: You can find Aparicio and Nate Colbert easily but, for example, Frank Howard and Denny McLain rarely surface.:

Text

Daniel
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Based on the players on the 22 card sheet, I would guess that those were double printed and the 33 card sheet single printed.

Edit: which is what you said. Sorry, trying to read comments during TV timeouts is not good for reading comprehension.

Let's Go Flyers!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great accomplishment. I love this set. I have the Cardinals team set. Even though Cepeda and McCarver are with other teams, the black and white pictures are with the Cardinals so I include them.

Here is mine.

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Daniel!

I know how tough that can be. You posted some really good looking cards to boot. Don't know if I'll ever complete a set like you did.
    Mike
  • Options
    Great accomplishment! It wasn't until I needed one of these cards for a sampler set that I learned how tough they were. Congrats!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!! That is quite the accomplishment. I've always (well, not since the universe began) been fascinated by these cards--the combination of deckled-photos, red backs, unique action poses, inset portrait shots, and condition-sensitive borders makes for quite a card. More scans please!!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    This set is one of the very best. So much harder than the regular 1971's

Congrats n a very fine completion and sticking to your grade and not settling for less.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Per Marc's request, here is the final card I needed: Hoyt Wilhelm. His 'accomplishment' makes the kid in me laugh ("Hurls in 1,000th game" - I guess he was nervous). Also following are some of the tough cards in the set:

Daniel
  • Options
    Good stuff Daniel. If you didn't even mention the "accomplishment", I probably would have never even noticed. Wow!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Daniel! On the Murcer card, the term "twinbill" brings me back to a nostalgic version of baseball on Sunday afternoon.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wrapper Bishop shows appears to be a typical test wrapper. If the Greatest Moment cards were issued as a test set, one would not expect any wax stains, because the packs are not heat sealed, rather they are sealed with the sticker, isn't that right?
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Daniel,

Great job buddy. We have talked a lot about your journey over the years. It's very rewarding to finish something you have spent so much time and energy in.

Now the important question, what is next????? How about going after the Monster!!!!!

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Hey Mark - Yeah, it's been quite a time collecting the set. I got help from a few CU members over the years including you: the Bob Gibson card back in 2012. Time flies. LOL on the Monster! I see you have it in your signature line.
    Daniel