Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Help with Fayetteville Arkansas fractional obsolete note

Can't find much on this note from Fayetteville Arkansas online... anyone know much about it? Any research source to understand more?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Rhothert in his 1985 book on Arkansas Obsolete Notes and Scrip lists this 50c note as 192-2 with a rarity of R-7 (1-5 known). They tend to sell for around $200 depending upon condition.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe worth around $60-$90 at auction ...just a guess, maybe higher?

Here's an UNC that sold back in '08

Fayetteville, AR
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice note and worth more than the Heritage example sold back in 2008 at $172.50. Although the Heritage note has a technically higher grade, it is a remainder with false fill ins. The WindyCity note is a nice issued VF with no damage. Many collectors would rather have an issued VF over a higher grade remainder, especially if the remainder has false fill ins.

The 1840s issue date is many times scarcer than Civil War issues as a type, although this issuer is one of the somewhat available 1840s ones. Civil War dated notes are often found damaged due to poor quality of paper used, while these 1840s issues (on banknote paper) seem to have held up better.

I'd value it at $200-300, possibly a bit more.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the help. I now understand why I was finding next to nothing online about this note.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    That's cool! Definitely a good example of auction results not telling the whole story!