Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

A Top Pop Mule in a New Holder

At first glance, this note didn't look like much but after I inspected current pop figures at both TPG's, I realized it's probably tougher than I originally thought.

The PMG Non-Mule to Mule ratio is staggering: 197 Non-Mules to only 4 Mules; however I realize some of the mule data was not collected by them early on, so this number is likely to a little skewed. This 55EPQ is currently highest in their Pop report by 20 points. Does anyone know of anything higher out there, perhaps in their early generation holders or even raw? Just curious.

The PCGS ratio is 73 to 7 with a 53 Flat as their highest. So this happens to be 1/0 combined.

Interesting to me that such a seemingly "common" type note is so under-represented in the Pop reports.

The new PMG holders rock! And I'm not talking about The Rock, who also rocks. I'm talking about these clear and sturdier new slabs rocking! Very cool new design.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    That's killer, way to go!!!
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    I love this post! Your data explains why I collect mule notes.

I have $10 FRN 1934-A mule D33517918A J62/559 in CU condition.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice note image
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice note. Mules can be very tough to locate in the $10 FRN's.
  • daveudaveu Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    And I'm not talking about The Rock, who also rocks.

The Rock really does rock!

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Very tough note. I'm still looking for a CU example.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I doubt any KC or Dallas mules were printed in 1934A format.

Look at the print dates in Jim Hodgson's thread on 1934 mules. Dallas and KC were printed well into the mid 1940's.

The last micro backs ran out in the early 40's. Further research will reveal exactly why there are not Dallas of KC 1934A $10 mules.
  • JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    $10 1934A mules for St. Louis, Kansas City, and Dallas are possible. Face plates for all three types were on press while $10 micro backs were still being used. If found they will likely have back plate 404, and possibly 553.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
    Originally posted by: Jamericon

$10 1934A mules for St. Louis, Kansas City, and Dallas are possible. Face plates for all three types were on press while $10 micro backs were still being used. If found they will likely have back plate 404, and possibly 553.

I concur.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

Jim Hodgson

• larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    In 11 years of grading by both PMG and PCGS (probably close to 2 million notes graded?) not a single CU example of the Cleveland has been certified by either company. That proves that it must be a very tough note in CU.
  • From my observation the toughest mule in the $10 1934A series is the zero start GB block. I have only seen one in the last 17 years. I think it is very undervalued in the books.
    I have seen three GB mules. Back plate 404.

Jim Hodgson

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

did the TPGs always differentiate for mules in all series?

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@Heywood said:
    did the TPGs always differentiate for mules in all series?

Early on, PMG did not track mules (or plate numbers), so there is some over/under reporting of varieties. As time has passed and more notes have been graded, the significance of this has been reduced.

As far as I am aware, PCGS Currency has always tracked plate numbers and mules (though their population reports do not distinguish between 637/629 late finished backs). I think they plan on fixing that as they have all plate numbers recorded.