Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cheap Microscope Camera for coin photos

Just wanted to share my experience with a microscope camera. I wanted something to easily photograph coins that connects directly to my computer, so I don't have to spend ages setting up my light tent, finding a camera with charged battery, downloading photos etc. I was looking on ebay and found cheap digital microscopes. But couldn't find any good reviews or samples of coins. Since it was cheap I thought I'd just give it a try. Went for the slightly more expensive one as it came with its own stand.

This is the Microscope camera I got, about US$20 delivered, claimed 50-500x zoom:
ebay link
There were heaps that were similar.

I was doubtful about the 50-500x zoom with the sample photos posted by them, but hoped it would be good for coins.

The first thing I noticed trying it was that to get whole coin in it needs to be about 30cm away, much more than the stand allows, so I'll need to find another stand, or set it up on a box or something. And the 50-500x knob is just a focus. Adjustable light is good though, and it was quick and easy to install the driver and get it working. Can take pictures either with a button on the microscope (but shakes it as you do it), or clicking in the amcap app it uses. The zoom button just activated a digital zoom in the software, so not much good.

Since I didn't have a stand, I tried some pictures holding it in my hand, this is 30cm away, so it needed a few shots and a steady hand to get it clear. No editing has been done to these photos.

Compared to the photo I got from the site I bought the coin from:

And another coin I first tried with the microscope camera:

Compared to the picture I took with my other camera and a cheap light tent (I must have been having a bad day for it to look like this):

While the photos look a bit dodgy, I think with a proper background (I was using a tissue), some adjusting the brightness, cropping and using a stand they should end up a lot better.
Still thinking of what to put in my signature...

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems a bit out of focus. Are these easy to adjust? I would think that a microscope, by definition, would have problems photographing large coins.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds fairly easy to use, but I agree the images are not very clear.
    It's hard to expect good lens quality when only spending $20, I think.
    But certainly holding the camera by hand could be a factor as well.

Downloading from a camera to a Windows PC seems pretty easy these days -
    the camera looks like a hard drive, so I can just:
    - select folder on camera with all images
    - Ctrl-C copy
    - Ctrl-V paste folder to my hard drive

I believe there are cameras with a "live view" so you can view on your monitor,
    but I haven't tried them.
  • Options
    Yeah, might have to look at the focus, will try sometime with a stand.

Will have to look into live view cameras, sounds like just what I'm after.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several Canon models have it, such as the 70D and 6D.
    The EOS Utility software calls it "tethered shooting".
    Some of the newer models can use a wireless connection instead of a cable.
    Here's a youtube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2U2vxBir8
    You can also connect to a smartphone, iPad or Android tablet using an app called DSLR Controller:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssr_0tlqmZ0
    Probably Nikon has this, too.