Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

has this note been trimmed?

Looks awfully tight. If it was trimmed, shouldn't it have got a NET grade?
I am not that familiar with the series so I could be mistaken

ebay link

found this one on Heritage with a similar look

Heritage link

Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers are always free)

Comments

• DanCongDanCong Posts: 196
    it's not even even
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    To me, the two sides and bottom margin have been trimmed. The lower corners are just too sharp for a 140+ year old note.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, that's a military buzz cut!!! Don't know, but that sure stands out.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Chucky the horror doll got his hands on that one.

That's not a trim, that is a hacking.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone ruined a perfectly good note!image
  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it was mistaken for a New England national.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• amrysamrys Posts: 143
    Originally posted by: SmallSizedGuy
    To me, the two sides and bottom margin have been trimmed. The lower corners are just too sharp for a 140+ year old note.

I agree!
    Especially the two lower corners are too sharp.
    The problem is that the grading services often fail to detect trimming.image
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, what a reveal and call out HistoryMajor - Bazinga!
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not be happy if my barber took that much off on the sides.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sellitstore
    I would not be happy if my barber took that much off on the sides.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 30 ✭✭
    of course its trimmed and the only reason would be because of tears in side margin/s
  • I figured as much. Some trimming of margins could be missed but this one looks so obvious--as also the note I linked in Heritage--the graders could not have missed it so why did it not get a NET grade?

• Its pretty obvious it has been trimmed. That said, why do they have to net grade it. Anyone can see it, and the prospective buyer can make a decision on whether he/she likes it or not. The paper quality must be original to get the EPQ. At some point, the buyer must be able to make a decision on something as obvious as this. Do the TPG companies really have to point out the obvious???
  • if a note has a stain that is very obvious to all, it gets a NET or APPARENT no matter if the rest of the note deserves a Q, why should such a severe trim not rate it also? Just wondering.

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinkin someone grading it forgot to do their job, and MEASURE IT! That is one of the top protocols in professional grading is to measure the note and compare against know measurements. Of course not to mention that it is VERY obvious! The Heritage one is pretty good except that it is an off set print that makes it look off. Right margin is a bit wider, and the left obviously is narrower.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    EPQ is ridiculous , and it should had been given a NET grade imho.
    just as this PMG graded note:NET grade PMG

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • The note you linked is severely damaged. It is stained and has obvious damage on the left edge.

Even the vaunted PCGS Currency has told many people that it does not discount for trimming as the margins on large size notes was regularly not uniform.

The bottom line here is - buy the note not the holder.

Actually look at the notes, don't just expect a TPG to point out every little thing to you. That is what has caused the TPGs so many problems - TOO MANY nets and apparents. You never see this kind of nit-picking with coins.
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Andres
    EPQ is ridiculous , and it should had been given a NET grade imho.
    just as this PMG graded note:NET grade PMG

Not a unique situation ... when I received this note the right edge caught my eye as uneven cut so I lined up the left edge with the same series from PCGS then compared the right edge.
    Your eyes do not decieve you...

• if someone dusted off a coin in a cabinet in 1830, it will still get a "PCGS Genuine" or "NGC Details" - so coins can be very nit picky too. Giving a "EPQ" is like giving a "CAC" to the coin with MS67 that looks like the dog threw up on it. The Technical grade based on strike and wear is not is not appearance. In this case, the trimming is into the design, and really should be called out on the holder and reflected in the grade.