Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is this a 1918 8 over 7 Quarter?

JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
I stumbled on this one in an old blue Whitman book. It was in the 1917 slot, but I think it is really a 1918 8 over 7. What do you think?

1918 8 over 7?

1918 8 over 7 close up

Thanks

Jc

Comments

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    Good news, it is a 18/7 quarter and nice at that.

One tell is the clashed die on the left side (looking at her) half way down the lower part of her toga.

Congratulaitions

I'm guessing worth 5K
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply I am preparing to send it in to PCGS. It was a very exciting find.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it definitely is, I can see it from the first photo and the second just verifies it. No doubt.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I just sent it in to PCGS to get graded. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    You got one there for sure. The odds against that happening are astronomical! You are lucky but also alert enough to catch it. Congratulations!

I'm laying 10,000 to 1 that PCGS says it is a legitimate overdate.

I'm going to agree with BigAl that it is worth about 5K. I think it is around VF30 which PCGS puts at $5,100.

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it is. I will book that bet deefree49 image
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip

I don't think it is. I will book that bet deefree49 image

I think you're saying that because at 10,000 to 1, you've basically got nothing to lose!

Yes, my "wager" offer was a bit reckless but hey, just trying to be supportive. OTOH, finding a coin like that out of the blue sounds like an excellent candidate for a certain "unusually named" award that I've seen given on these boards from time to time...

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs