Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

BP greek roman giveaways

Bought this set on a local dutch site, free giveaways by BP gasstations some 40 years ago.
in countries like France, Great Britain and the Netherlands and maybe in other countries as well.
Were there any like these in the States ?
seems to me a good action to interest youngsters in coin collecting.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen anything quite like that in stateside gas station giveaways.

That would sure have gotten me interested in coin collecting if I received it as young guy.

Cool!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! That's really fantastic!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

Many, many years ago, Sunco gas stations were giving out brassy tokens with the presidents portraits on them. They were horrible. I still have two or three "specimens." I was in a coin shop awhile back and a lady brought in the whole set for an appraisal. She left disappointed.

BP stations were not in my part of the world until recently so I don't recall seeing that very interesting set before. I do vaguely remember the president medals and see odds at flea markets from time to time. Also a local grocery had a giveaway of US colonial coins during the bicentennial and there's a couple around here somewhere.

The only ancient giveaway that I can recall is an Attic 4dr that my parents received in an insurance advertisement when I was still in elementary school in southern Indiana. This is a well known/used copy and it became my pocket piece for years until being retired to my change drawer. Elicited a lot of comments when I pulled out my change and it was also interesting to watch the wear over time.

imageimage

what fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Bought these 3 BP sets from a seller on eBay France, the first one has 10 ancient roman/greek coins, the same as the Dutch one, apart from the colour.

The second one is called Kings of France 27x21 cm and has 20 coins in the card. The third one is called Treasures of the Pirates 35x24 cm consist of 11 coins , 4 die stamps 1 on each corner, with the shields of France, England, Toscane and Spain at the bottumpart,
    and 5 fake gemstones around the compass.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Those sets are really pretty nice for giveaways Andres. Even tho they're "just" replicas, I have to salute BP's promotion department since it's clear a good deal of effort/research went into their production. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool!

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Just found out the BP greek/roman ancients were issued in 1969 , the French Kings in 1970 and the Pirate issue in 1971.
    Maybe one of the BP board members or the CEO were coin collectors at the time.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are cool..............I remember the Shell President and States games back in the late 60's

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool sets, Andres. Like STLNATS said, must've taken them a bit of research time.