Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FSH: three nice German lots for your perusal

Here are three German lots for your perusal. Two are nice Saxony coins and the third lot is some neat notgeld.

I'm essentially offering all at my cost plus a few bucks for shipping, no more.

Here's the breakdown:

LOT 1 (1913-E Saxony 3-mark proof): $200 delivered (actually a few bucks below my cost, considering what I paid for the grading fees and TrueView)

LOT 2 (1869-B Saxony 2-pfennig UNC): $49 delivered

LOT 3 (1920s 47-piece UNC notgeld currency lot): $36 delivered SOLD

Or take ALL THREE LOTS SHOWN BELOW for $275 delivered

Swaps? OK, maybe, if you have a single coin or token of equal value you think would be a nice addition to my Box of 20 collection (see link in sigline).

Here are the pix and details:

LOT 1:

German States (Saxony) silver 3 mark proof, Battle of Leipzig centennial commemorative, 1913-E, PCGS PR62 DCAM

Even the TrueView photos do not show the mirrors on this coin to full advantage.

Obverse: the Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument to the Battle of the Nations).

Reverse: Imperial German eagle, head left, crown above.

PCGS PR62 DCAM, cert #29851548. KM 1275, .900 silver/.4823 oz. 33 mm, 16.66 g. Leipzig mint. Mintage: 17,000 proofs. Ex-Moneta Numismatic Services.

Larger image

PCGS cert verification page

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

LOT 2:

German States (Saxony): copper 2-pfennig, 1869-B, raw Brown UNC

Attractive, satiny toning with nice hints of color. KM 1217, copper, 19.1 mm. Ex-Münzenhandlung Brom.

At least three forum members gave MS66 grade opinions on it in a previous thread.

I wouldn't be so bold as to guess, but that seems possible to me. As far as I know, this coin has never been submitted to a TPG service.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

LOT 3: SOLD

47-piece miscellaneous Uncirculated small-denomination notgeld currency lot, ca. 1920s

Ex-Ephesus Numismatics. This was a recent impulse purchase I made because I thought it was a good deal (on a gut level- I know nothing about this stuff). I was impressed by how beautiful and colorful these little notes are. Some are also macabre and/or whimsical. They're all pretty fascinating. But I am not about to start collecting paper money (though stuff like this could tempt me in that direction). I guess you could say I just wanted to have a peek at these and then pass them on.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

(Edited to add my interest is only in the Notgeld.)
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update, 5/7/16:

Lot 1 (the proof) is still here.

Lot 2 (the UNC 2-pfennig) has gone to eBay, 99c start true auction. (See link in sigline)

Lot 3 (the notgeld) has sold.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 3 Mark Proof!
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up the 2 pfennig off eBay. I would have made you an offer on here if I had seen the post in time. I'm guessing it's a 65 based on the photo, but I'll be happy if you are right about 66. (I won't be getting it graded though)

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: neildrobertson

I picked up the 2 pfennig off eBay. I would have made you an offer on here if I had seen the post in time. I'm guessing it's a 65 based on the photo, but I'll be happy if you are right about 66. (I won't be getting it graded though)

You ended up getting it for a tiny bit less than I had in it. I wouldn't venture to call it MS66 myself (though that would be nice). Others did post that opinion. I think 65 is about right. Personally, I'm usually reluctant to grade any raw UNC coin over MS65. I leave that to the TPGs.

Thanks for bidding, BTW. I knew your username looked familiar.

(And, as you may have discerned from my Robertson badge avatar being your family crest, we might be distant kin. Robertson is my first name, but it was my mother's maiden name.)

So only the Saxony 3-mark proof (Coin 1 above) now remains. I guess I'll hang onto it in my Box of 20 for a little while longer. I'm into it for pretty much full retail if one factors in slabbing costs, so my price above was admittedly not a red-hot bargain. (But not crazy high either, I reckon.)