Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Top Grade State Quarters Just Graded?

I see that the pop report for state quarters has a couple of new top-pop issues: a pair of 1999-D Pennsylvanias in ms68 and a 1999-P Georgia in ms68. If anyone here was lucky enough to pop these and wants to sell them, please PM me. Gerry

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know who made these, but I see the #1 set now has the pop 1 MS68 NY-D. Also, there were 6 MS69's last week, now there are 4. Interesting since wondercoin says he knew who made the KY, and it is not there anymore.

The pops have jumped for the DE-P in MS68 too.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbldie55: You are mistaken about the KY(p). I have no idea who made it and was looking for it. Now, it is gone you say. The whole thing is very strange considering one of the nicest state quarters I have ever seen is a KY(p) quarter which I submitted the very time the pop showed one was graded. My coin came back to me in a PCGS-MS68 holder, which is the wrong holder for my KY coin imho. My coin will eventually go back in for grading and I would be surprised if it did not grade MS69 at some point. As to what occured on that MS69 fiasco, is a possible explanation that my coin actually did grade MS69, but was later changed to MS68?????? This is all VERY STRANGE!! image WONDERCOIN.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, congratulations to the #1 set in the country on the acquisition of that UNIQUE NY(d) in PCGS-MS68. I "escrowed" the coin for buyer and seller, while the deal competed itself and the coin was a very nice piece indeed, far nicer than any MS67 coin of that state I have ever seen!!

My contacts tell me NY(d) is actually the hardest state quarter to "make" in high grade, even harder than GA!! The reason there may be more NY(d) coins may be the fact that folks have poured through much larger volumes of NY(d) coins to find them and submit them. IMHO, NY(d) in MS68 could prove to be a very difficult state to locate in the years ahead. image WONDERCOIN
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of them (NY-D)......well maybe not 68's, but a bunch image

Here is why I thought you knew about it, from the thread about 6 of them.

<< <i>Thanks dbldie55 for pointing that out. I had heard about the KY(p) being made by another board member yesterday, but heard nothing about a second VT(p). >>

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I think GA-P 25c is the toughest statehood quarter to find nice. I
    went through an original bag last March and deposited the entire
    lot into my checking account. The best coin was MS-63!!
    I've sorted a bag of NY-D and made several MS-66 coins. They didn't
    have the overall flash and perfect (unpitted) planchets that MS-67/+
    coins require.
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    In this week's on-line pop report, the pair of 1999 PA-Ds in 68 have been removed. There still is a 1999 GA-P listed in 68. There are a number of other changes in the 68 pops this week - some up and some down. I woinder if someone can explain this to me, or at least rationalize it!