Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

I need to submit 6 notes by 4/6 to use my voucher - which ones?

I have waited until the last week to use my voucher w/PCGS Currency, and now I've got to pick 6 bills to send for cert.
I will post several of the examples that I've narrowed it down to - nothing really great, cuz I don't have anything really great! But I could use some help deciding which would be the best candidates for having graded. I have 13 photos posted (hopefully...) - which would be the best choices from the motley bunch to submit? I am relatively new to currency collecting..

imageimage
imageimage

Thanks!
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    I see that there are no images....let me try again. I'm not very handy with the new format & photos.
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
    OK - what is the secret to posting photos? I've tried all the ways that I always used previously....
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • use the image tag square brackets with IMG and your URL of the picture, or on the tool bar across the top of the message window (use reply, not quick reply) the picture fame
    and I have found if the image URL is too long or funny shaped or if its Tuesday in Belgium, the sw completely ignores it
    I know about using the picture frame and copy & pasting the image, but on my 'new' computer, my photo library does not assign a jpeg image URL, at least one that I can locate.
    I've tried sending the photos to a 3rd party site, like photobucket or snapfish, which used to work - I would just right click on the photo, and the properties would appear, then I'd just copy & paste. I can't get the jpeg image properties to show up on any of my photos!
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • you uploaded them to photobucket and you cant see the URL on the right side of the page?
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and great problem to be in - perhaps write out what you have and guess at the grade until you figure the pics situ out?
    This website does not host any photos, you need to have your own pics somewhere else on the web, so this forum may be different than others you've seen.

• techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    While you are working through the photo upload difficulties (most of us have had them); why don't you post us a list of your notes. List them by:

1. Friedberg number (on the note's holder if so noted)

2. Denomination

3. Type (silver certificate, legal tender, federal reserve note, etc.)

4. Grade (if known or on label of the note's holder)

The Friedberg number (#1) will provide us the #2 and #3, but nice to have.

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

image[/URL][/IMG]
    This what I'm getting from using the upper right URL link on photobucket - I'm obviously not doing something correctly. I click on the bottom of 4 tabs on the photobucket image page, and it says 'copied' - then I tried pasting it onto the picture frame here.image
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
    Hallelujah!!image

Now for the rest of them!
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
    I also have some 2009 & 2013 $1 and $5 star notes, plus a few radar & repeater numbers. I'm wondering if they would be better candidates for submission?image
    imageimage
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • The 2009 twenty with the red stain in the lower right is not worth grading. That will be a "net" or "apparent" grade for the stain. Grading adds value on higher grade or tougher notes, so if they won't receive a decent grade it might not be worth it. I can't tell if your 1950 D $50 has a tear above the portrait, but the same would apply to that if it is damaged. A well centered contemporary note that grades 69 or 70 would be a better investment in slabbing. If they are for your registry sets, then grade them so they can be part of your set, but not for the enhanced value of grading, just my 2 cents
    Thank you, DC...I can use all guidance that folks are willing to provide. I don't have an actual collection of currency - just a mixture of notes that I have inherited or saved for a decade or longer because they came from the bank (or ATM) in nice, crisp condition.
    Other than that, I pull any interesting serial numbers and star notes that I find in the register of my store.
    Everything that I have in currency is available for sale, and I would like to maximize my free submissions, so your advice regarding the fresh, well centered notes is well-taken.
    I'll post a few more, including one that may be an error - the last digit (8) is about a half a number lower than the rest - is that considered an error?

imageimage
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
    Bingo!

The radar note. L44722744H is worth probably a bunch

The first serial (LHS) of B18571168E looks like a rolled digit error

The $5 FRN is Repeater serial n umber ID45344534B
  • the radar is worth $3 or $4
  • What I'm taking from the comments is that it would be best to submit those notes that I have saved from 1990 - 1999 that were put away in crisp, flat, pristine condition when I got them, regardless of the serial number.
    Look for the bills that are well centered, and have no ink smears or spots on them - if they grade in the PPQ mid-high 60s, they should be worth the most as time passes, due to 'condition' rarity.

I think that I'll submit a couple of the older $5 bills in the pictures because the dates & serial numbers are low issues according to my Friedberg & Azpiazu guides. I'll probably send the $50 star note, just because....

Not worth getting the radar note slabbed at this point, since it has seen moderate circulation? Would having it in plastic increase the value at all, or just prevent it from further damage/being spent?
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • nothing will increase the value of the radar because the serial # is not really 'fancy' per se... it will always be worth a few bucks. but if you enjoy it, thats all that matters
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha
    the radar is worth $3 or $4

300% profit!
    That is "a bunch" image but agreed that anything here is not a choice submittal. With that in mind the only reason to slab these is to monetize them.
    The $50 notes would be the choice as their higher value would make the comparable grading costs a lower percentage loss
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about asking Jason or Laura at PCGS if they can extend the expiration date?
    Yes, I had a very pleasant talk with Laura, and at this point, the voucher is being extended. I was told to have the submission post marked by 4/6...although Laura said she wasn't gonna worry about a day or two.
    Very nice folks there, every time I've spoken with them.

Thanks for the info everybody - it all helps me in making my decisions.
    BTW -I was under the impression that the fewer different digits in a radar or repeater, the more 'valuable' it became..am I off base there?

I think that I'll put some groups of silver certs & star notes that I have on eBay & see what they bring - different strokes for different folks! I've got a note up for auction now that starts with 6 sixes - plus it was printed in Atlanta, and it is series 2006 - so there are 17 sixes on the face!

One more thing - I have a bill that starts with a serial # of four 7s, and another that starts with 4 or 5 zeroes. Do folks collect solid blocks of end digits? I think it is mentioned as a possible collecting category in both reference books, but they say don't go further than 3 digits, for some reason - difficulty in finding enough for the collection?
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • yes, fewer digits would prob be worth more as a radar... but them being circulated really dents any value... also, the digits matter - for example: a note with 3 different digits being 8's, 9's and 0's would be better than, say 2's, 4's, and 7's (your $1)
    Of course, Jason and Laura have great customer service!

So your decision tree to select a submittal note would be this; decide if they are notes you want for your collection or to sell. If your goal is to sell, find the notes where slabbing will be the most cost effective. 99% of the time these will be your most expensive notes but should be those of highest value.

Then again, if you're slabbing for your collection then that should Trump all others
    Originally posted by: golddustin
    Yes, I had a very pleasant talk with Laura, and at this point, the voucher is being extended. I was told to have the submission post marked by 4/6...although Laura said she wasn't gonna worry about a day or two.
    Very nice folks there, every time I've spoken with them.

Thanks for the info everybody - it all helps me in making my decisions.
    BTW -I was under the impression that the fewer different digits in a radar or repeater, the more 'valuable' it became..am I off base there?

I think that I'll put some groups of silver certs & star notes that I have on eBay & see what they bring - different strokes for different folks! I've got a note up for auction now that starts with 6 sixes - plus it was printed in Atlanta, and it is series 2006 - so there are 17 sixes on the face!

One more thing - I have a bill that starts with a serial # of four 7s, and another that starts with 4 or 5 zeroes. Do folks collect solid blocks of end digits? I think it is mentioned as a possible collecting category in both reference books, but they say don't go further than 3 digits, for some reason - difficulty in finding enough for the collection?

There is always the Buy, Sell, Trade forum here which is free for you to list things to sell