Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just finished my first Registry Set and wanted to share!

So about 9 months or so ago, maybe 12 months, I started to pick up some nicely centered and high eye appeal Hall of Famers from the 50s. So I picked up some nice cards and a couple were a 1956 Jackie Robinson and then a Sand Koufax... and then I decided to do the 1956 Topps PSA Hall of Fame set.
I have never had the patience to put together a huge run or set. The only time I have ever been successful in putting together a set/run was when I collected comics and put together a Thor run from 126-502. I kept it about a month lol
So, anywhoo, I got the last card I needed in today...a PeeWee Reese. For some reason this card took me about 2 months to find in PSA 4-5, with decent centering as there just wasnt any that came up on eBay.
So, without further delay...

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking set. What's next? Several months ago I decided to start my first registry set. I am now working on 6 sets. None are completed yet.

James
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Great collection of 56's

The cards show vey well for the grade.

Wish I had a Mick like that
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    56 Topps is my favorite set of all time. You couldn't have picked a better project! The Mick and Clemente are outstanding and I'd really like to see your Jackie too.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking cards! You have a knack for picking up very nice, eye appealing cards for the respective grades.
    Congrats on completing the 56 HOF set.
  • Options
    Congrats!!! This was my first project as well. It's a beautiful set!!! (I sadly sold the all PSA 7 set just a few months ago)
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Nice set . The cards look much better than their grade .------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    56 Topps is my favorite set of all time. You couldn't have picked a better project! The Mick and Clemente are outstanding and I'd really like to see your Jackie too.

I'll work on getting you a pic of it. It's honestly one I've thought about upgrading.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words y'all! It's definitely been fun doing.
    One of the things that I was trying to do was find cards that presented nicely. Since there can be such a big difference in two different 4s I wanted to find ones that were reasonably centered and had a nice picture quality.
    Next up for me is to continue on the Hall of Fame sets for:
    1953 Bowman Color
    1957 Topps
    1958 Topps
    I can see this going through up into the mid 60s if I project out a couple of years. It's been fun for sure and will continue to be fun!
    Anybody got any 53s, 57s, or 58s? Haha!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done, those look great! It can always be a bit bittersweet to wrap up something like this, but sounds like you've got the other projects lined up. Good luck in your quest.
  • Options
    I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Great job completing this. The cards present well and look great. Gotta love the Topps '56 issue.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the completion of the 56 project. This is extra special for me as I'm currently working on this particular set. Those cards look great and present well.

Jeremy
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Once upon a time I chased 7's and 8's from the 50's. Now, I have lots of 3's, 4's, and 5's and couldn't be happier. You have taken the right approach. You have great looking cards and I will bet you spent 20% of what you would have paid for cards only 10% nicer.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great! Congrats. Nothing like finishing a set of cards you love.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!!!! Beautiful set of cards. image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is great!! My favorite set of the 50s. Way to go!!
  • Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Great job. Hard to find those babies centered and yours look great. Beautiful cards. Doug
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some great looking cards that have an amazing presentation for the technical grades.

Congrats on completing the set.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

What a nice set. I'm a fan of the horizontal design both '56 and '55.

I wouldn't be able to do these sets complete - doing an HOF rather than the full set appeals to me.

In fact, I recently decided not to do an entire T3 set and just do the HOF'ers. Especially if I win a lottery or decide to pawn a kidney.

Good luck on your next project Arex!
    Mike
  • Options
    NIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!

The last of the Topps "BIG"'s

Well done!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx 4 sharing. It is a very nice looking set you put together. Congrats!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work as your attention to picking up quality cards shows!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! That's a nice set in any grade.