Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Fleer.... Did I miss something

It seems wax prices on 85 Fleer boxes have gone up. Last time I looked I don't think
The Clemens or Pucketts are that tough in high grade for Fleer especially compared to Topps. Anyway just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that.

Comments

• Options
    Youre not gonna make any money off Puckett and Clemens 1985 Fleer. Besides, everyone knows their best cards are the 84 Fleer Updates and those have gone down about $100 in the last year and a half.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those boxes are definitely worth more sealed than opened.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    It was always the hardest 85 product to find, even in 1985, that's all.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got 3 sealed vending boxes cheap. Of course I opened them, but yeah the wax boxes are out of whack
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not only surprised, but floored at the prices for this product of late. I have recently sold some wax and cello boxes to fund other purchases, which has worked out well.

Just my $.02, but it seems that the prices of all 1985 baseball wax and cello has risen fairly well in past year. As others say above, there is clearly no value in ripping. I would guess that certain 10s in 85Topps would pay off, but with substandard quality control for that issue the rip is most likely a losing proposition.

I have always thought 84 Fleer held a lot of promise too. And am expecting to see prices for clean unopened product to increase at a relatively fast clip. Again, no value in ripping this product either.

John
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    Curious on the thought on 84 Fleer increasing..... Are there any high dollar psa 10's in 84 fleer to chase?
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I just recently picked up a box of 84 fleer. Great looking retro box!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VintagemanEd
    Curious on the thought on 84 Fleer increasing..... Are there any high dollar psa 10's in 84 fleer to chase?

no there are not. while i think the 84 fleer always looked great, i also think 1984 anything is overpriced as mattingly is really the only big ticket. his 10s are priced almost like they're hall of fame RCs, which of course they are not.

i'd much rather have 1985 over 1984.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, there are no big pulls. So not entirely dissimilar to 85 Fleer. I just feel that the design is sharp and the production runs, at least from what I've cleaned from observations of product availability in auctions over the years, is reasonably limited compared to Topps and Donruss. All of the unopened boxes are slick looking as well.

Take this all info account and I'm a big fan of this issue.

John
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    so looking at the pop reports, the stats say that 85 fleer is 2nd toughest clemens RC in a 10. Topps is toughest, but some of that is a function of how many Topps have been graded.

85 fleer is also next lowest pop of total PSA 10s, with Tiffany being by far the lowest. 85 fleer is half the number of topps and about a third of donruss and 84 fleer.

i'm a big clemens collector, and i've always felt that for the money, the 85 fleer is a great value. it's a tough card and there aren't a ton of them.

that should help on box prices but mostly it's a function of availability.