Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone know what this coin is? Worth?

Can anyone please help me identify this coin? Any clue what it might be worth? I think it's silver and the writing is Chinese, but I can't find anything else about it. Any information you have would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Hi-
    The short answer, if it is genuine, is a Chinese silver tael (1856-1943), listed in Kahn's Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Coins as K900 to K910. Kahn references "The Coins of Shanghai" by A. M. Tracey Woodward, published in the China Journal for August 1937 (shortly before his death), and reprinted that same year in the Bulletin of the Numismatic Society of China.

I did a quick Google search, since more and more of this old research is being scanned to the Internet, but it still looks like the 1890's to 1920's english language numismatic journals from China are going to auction and appreciating. I've told my wife I think I am making more money on my coin books than the coins themselves. :-)

Let me know if you want more info., or continue research on your own. The reverse translates the issuing firm name, and engraver's name; that's what appears to identify the various types.
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Thank you Santelia for the information. I'll take that and run with it.
  • Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    You're welcome. Mind if I ask where you got it from?
    Chinese cash enthusiast