Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My two ancients back from ATS with images

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been a coin collector since I was 4 or 5, more than 40 years now. When I started my company, I named it Electrum after the first coins ever made. That company celebrates its 25th year this year and every time I answer the phone "Electrum", it makes my day.

Several years ago I accomplished two of my bucket list end-all be-all coin fantasies by buying a Lydian trite, arguably the first coin ever created, and a Lydian siglos, considered to be the first silver coin ever made, from Harlan Berk in Chicago. Berk literally wrote the book on dawn of coinage pieces and he personally recommended these pieces to me. My icon is that trite.

I shifted focus to a "box of 20" collecting style a few years back. I had these two pieces in screw-type capital holders but wanted them in standard slabs to fit the rest of my box of 20. I sent them both off to NGC a few weeks back without much thought to grades. It's nice to see that NGC agreed with Berk's recommendations. I recently started reimaging my coins with my new camera (Samsung Galaxy S6 phone camera), so great timing image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool! image
  • Options
    I just noticed the mechanical error. Anyone else catch it? image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very cool Weiss. Nice to see nice grades back on those.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not very familiar with ancients but those look sweet!

Congrats on your company making it to the 25 year anniversary as well, that's no easy feat these days.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really all that into ancients, but those really are cool!!!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely! And that's your cell phone camera? Wowzers!

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    HJB has some awesome stuff. Congrats!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking pieces with a nice background story!

They look good in those holders. Be careful not to jiggle them loose in there!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    What amazing bits of history!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! The pics are quite sharp.

What was the mechanical error?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing, Weiss.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: worldcoinguy

At 5.29 grams, the silver piece is without question a "siglos", or half-stater. A word and denomination that is synonymous with Croesus and these earliest of coins.

A stater would be in the 10.75 gram range.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Weiss. This is what I want too, to round out my type collection. Dawn of coinage -- nice expression.

Originally posted by: Weiss
    Originally posted by: worldcoinguy

At 5.29 grams, the silver piece is without question a "siglos", or half-stater. A word and denomination that is synonymous with Croesus and these earliest of coins.

A stater would be in the 10.75 gram range.

I was suspicious of the denomination and was going to look it up. I had felt that at their weights, and the relative value of silver to electrum, one of the pieces was possibly wrongly labeled.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I would love to own them.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the grades! Well deserved.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Not familiar with the gold piece, but that stater - er, siglos - is a wonderful, almost perfect, example of the type. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

PS I'm also impressed at the images came from a phone. Remarkable.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I've taken several hundred shots with my new phone and every one is better than the last. These are all free hand, no stand, overhead LED with the blinds open to let the sun in.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be lion if I said I didn't like them.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    LOL. And the new box of 20. I wish my photoshop skills were as good as my photography...

Larger image with greater clarity

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics comrade, coins too.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Great pics - great box - that trade dollar is out of this world, thanks for sharing
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coins!!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SmEagle1795
    Fantastic coins!!

Pshaw. They're 3 for a $.25 bin at the local B&M compared to your dawn of coinage pieces image
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Wow-- very nice!

Even if I didn't collect ancients at all (and I only have a few), I'd understand these have a wow-factor few other coins could match.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan
    I would be lion if I said I didn't like them.

That pun is awful! image
    Paul