Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Urgent. Taking up a collection for Zohar.

Coming up for sale at Rauch next month!

Your pledges will be greatly appreciated.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes!! By the title I thought you were going to be starting a gofundme due to some terrible tragedy (though not getting that coin might be construed as one).

Whew!

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'm in, Z is still recovering from NYINC and is a deserving fellow. He NEEDS this one.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Andy!!

Jeff - I knew I could count on you. Seriously, Andy brought this to my attention and I didn't realize there is a gold version in a 7 Ducat. Nice to dream, especially when there are 7 known, 4 being in public collections.

LINK

Translation:

( D ) 7 ducats 1486 stamp of Chr . Hole ( posthumous coinage to 1563) . Av .: standing Archduke with scepter between a lion holding the shield and a tournament helmet with pea***** shock . Rv .: Turnierreiter with flag right over year and crest of Old Austria , around 15 rule crest .

Of the 7 known examples are 4 in public collections ( among others St.Petersburg , Vienna , Karlsruhe ) . . Copy of the ECR Schulthess Rechberg 4199. Monnaies en or p.130 , M - D : 99 , Fri : 7 , Slg.Mont : 402nd Wt . 24.18 g value number 7 in the box carved thin.

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭
    200,000 euros. That's a good chunk of change
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    What a beautifull coin, but why not start the bidding at 0.99 with no reserve ? starting at 200.000 Euro is no fun at all image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stork

Yikes!! By the title I thought you were going to be starting a gofundme due to some terrible tragedy (though not getting that coin might be construed as one).

Whew!

Ditto

Glad it was only a dream that was bashed

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the kind of coin one stretches for. And if it were a "must" for my collection, I would find a way.

Does anyone have a census of known examples (with grades)? How does this specimen compare to the others?
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z, you can always buy the restrike for about 100 bucksimage

tmi, but one can only wish.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pruebas- "Of the 7 known examples are 4 in public collections ( among others St.Petersburg , Vienna , Karlsruhe )"
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar

pruebas- "Of the 7 known examples are 4 in public collections ( among others St.Petersburg , Vienna , Karlsruhe )"

Yes, but is the Hermitage specimen, for example, an UNC or XF? Is this example the finest known? Etc....
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pruebas
    Originally posted by: Zohar

Yes, but is the Hermitage specimen, for example, an UNC or XF? Is this example the finest known? Etc....

I'm not sure it would be wise to wait for the Hermitage specimen to come to market.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are other examples of this coin also scratched with the value?

Neat coin, shame about the price tag.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Nap
    Are other examples of this coin also scratched with the value?

I don't know the answer with respect to this particular issue, but it's commonly seen on large multiple ducats.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the starting bid of 200,000 Euros is a major set back , imagine the starting bid
    with out the "7" graffity on the obverse. Probably would start at 250,000 Euros +.
    I'll check the change jar in the kitchen to see if I can make a "serious" bid.