Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Extremely rare German 1/2 mark up for auction

I don't know how many of you follow the subject of German Empire coins, but if you do you are likely to be aware of the 1908-F 1/2 mark, the mintage of which is estimated at about 1000. It is just about as valuable as all the other 1/2 marks (1905 to 1919) combined. PCGS has graded only 2 in business strike (at XF 45 - one on Ebay now for a little under $7000) and one in proof (at PR 65).

WAG Online's Auction 62 (live around April 10) has an ungraded copy in proof up for sale. As much as I would like to bid on it, the opening bid of 10,000 Euros is 'way beyond my budget. But, perhaps a member of the forum might be interested? The WAG photo isn't great, but at that price I am sure they would provide better pictures.

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a mighty steep premium for a "mint mark" rarity.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the information. I am collecting the 20th Century Marks and Half Marks by date and mint mark. Unfortunately this coin is also out of my price range at present.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC