Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Another 1928 FRN Number

Okay, so the last one I tried to get info on is/was a wash with no answer. So it's on Ebay right now (lookup mainejoe3 if interested). But this note is even a tougher sell on the number being off a little? Some one tell me what they think, my book is either whacked, or I am? Hmmm seems I can't get the image to post here. So, it's a 1928 $20 FRN, New York, Big 2, S/N B00019955A . Face plate is 1, back plate is 2 .

[IMGhttp://s1268.photobucket.com/u...1_zpssws8600j.jpg.html][/IMG]

Comments

• pic doesnt work... paste the link
  • mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Does the link work now? Seems an odd way of getting a pic or image up, can't just upload from the PC?
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Welllll....there it is! Thank you!
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    What seems off about the serial number on the note? What book are you referring to? That asked,it's a pretty vf and worth about $60-$75 imo.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Nothing special about the number or otherwise (no premium if that is what your inquiry seeks). Looks like a nice evenly circulated example. Numbersman's estimate seems right.
    I'm using the KP 10th Edition Small-Size U.S. Paper Money. It has the start number for this series note at B00085952A?
  • what do you mean the number is "off" ?
    ALL 1928 Series started at serial number 00000001. KP may be listing the lowest "observed" serial. KP is not the book to use for small size.
    Number is lower than the published number.
    Ok, thanks for that info. What would the recommended book be to use? I generally am a number watcher before a price watcher.
  • according to track and price, these are known:

B00000073A-00000086A sheet
    B00000373A

Small Size US Paper Money by Schwartz and Lindquist

There is going to be zero premium for a new observed low, unless the number is super low (1, 2 or 3 digits) or fancy.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Many of the numbers in S/L are just highs and lows observed.

High numbers for 1928, all of the 1928A and low numbers of 1928B are unknown, as there was mixing between series. I do have breaks for the DGS / LGS notes if you are interested.

I believe that is what I have for reference book, published by Krause ?

Thank you one and all for the help and advice, assistance. Just trying to broaden my knowledge is all. I'm not a grand collector or anything, just trying to gain knowledge in something I am inclined to expand with.
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mainejoe
    I believe that is what I have for reference book, published by Krause ?

Thank you one and all for the help and advice, assistance. Just trying to broaden my knowledge is all. I'm not a grand collector or anything, just trying to gain knowledge in something I am inclined to expand with.

Well that's a good thing and this is a great place to accomplish it!
  • A lot of people like This book referred to as Schwartz Lindquist. The 10th edition is the latest, but many bemoan the uncertain future of an 11th edition.
    Even with this guide, most serial numbers are "observed" and a new low or high is fairly common. Series 1928 and 1934 US notes have a torturous, complicated, unintuitive and wholly contradictory serial number history.
    It is always fun to find one outside of the listed range, but in most cases (unless there is a serious discrepancy as in plate numbers for the series), merely being outside published in a book range is not too significant.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I would pay big money for a 2016 edition image

...using a marker to change the date and changing 10th to 11th doesn't count either, hehe