Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Proof?

With a hoard of remainder sheets now being distributed and only one proof sheet in ABN (I think), there are many more unsigned remainders than proofs extant.

How about this one? What say you and why?

Proof?
Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Can't really tell through pictures through holder, but paper looks wrong for proof, and right for a remainder.

I have seen many wrong certifications, and they take whatever the submitter states.

Worse, is the many hole punched remainders identified as proofs that I have seen.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Heywood, image

Paper just doesn't look "correct" for a Proof note, especially when looking at reverse. Of course, this is just MHO.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    The color itself screams "Special proof." Haxby says the tint is brown-orange. A real proof sold at Stacks for almost $5000.

I agree that the paper doesn't look "proof."

Here are the 3 varieties:

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't considered the color as scans often don't accurately represent different shades. With that said, all three appear to be different shades. Danforth, Wright & Co proofs from ABN tend to be in the brownish red shade of the top note. The issued note is more typical shade for issued notes that I've seen-an orange-red. The bottom note look closer to red with a slight bit of pink, but this photo also looks lighter, so the true color may be closer to the middle note.

I agree that the paper on the PMG certified note looks more like a remainder (somewhat translucent) while the proofs are on white India paper. Special proofs are usually on white card or heavy paper, unlike the certified note.

Have any special proofs of this note been sold? I believe that the high denomination plate for this bank still exists ($50-$100) but I don't recall seeing lower denominations being sold.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    What is a Proof?
    Do they mean Specimen?
  • lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Aren't those air quotes around the word Proof on the holder?
    Originally posted by: sellitstore

Have any special proofs of this note been sold? I believe that the high denomination plate for this bank still exists ($50-$100) but I don't recall seeing lower denominations being sold.

I don't recall seeing any PP's on the other two plates (5-5-5-5 and 10-10-10-20), but here is a green PP of the 50-100 plate (It also should be brown-orange):

Bernie

ME: "Is the color of this note really as pinkish as it appears in the scan?"

Seller: "Yes the color is nearly exactly as scanned.

It is pinkish as seen.Very nicely colored.

I thank you for your interest and question."

Bernie

Originally posted by: lettow

PMG uses "Proof" for actual proofs.

Originally posted by: synchr

What is a Proof?

Do they mean Specimen?

There are very few specimens for obsolete notes. Specimens are printed the same way as issued notes on the same bond paper. They also have the as-issued back printings. In this case there are no back printings. The proof would be printed on much whiter/thinner India paper.

Bernie

• lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Berny
    Originally posted by: lettow

PMG uses "Proof" for actual proofs.

Apparently humor doesn't translate without emoticons.