Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

What's the longest National Bank name?

In the process of transcribing the Smithsonian's NBN proofs, I came across the longest bank name I'd ever seen: The Oklahoma Stockyards National Bank of Oklahoma City.

Are there any longer ones out there?
Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    The auction description says this one is the longest.

Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Co-Operative National Bank of Cleveland

HA Link
  • cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    The Aquidneck National Exchange Bank and Savings Company of Newport is long, but a few characters short of the Brotherhood.

My website: RICurrency.com
  • I think Aquidneck wins for small size notes.
    Great bank name, I have not seen that one before. "Aquidneck" wild!
  • techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    A little history about the Aquidneck bank. I had never heard of it either so thought I'd check it out and see what was lying about.

==

Aquidneck Bank Link

==

One more link that's quite interesting

==

Aquidneck Bank Link2

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    That's a very nice RI site tech.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Now to complete the story, we need Rhode Island Hospital Nation Bank information.
    There was an original connection to the hospital and a final connection to the Aquidneck bank.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ProofArtworkonCircs

Now to complete the story, we need Rhode Island Hospital Nation Bank information.

There was an original connection to the hospital and a final connection to the Aquidneck bank.

It's already there in the great link provided by tech:

http://www.ricurrency.com/bank...island-hospital-trust/

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • STLNATS,
    Thanks for the link. It was very interesting. I still don't see Tech's link to that bank.

EDIT: Found it. It certainly was not an obvious link.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit
    The auction description says this one is the longest.

Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Co-Operative National Bank of Cleveland

HA Link

cool and its a mouthful to say as well.
  • berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

The Locomotive Engineers get an extra point for a 5 digit charter number and another 0.5 point for the region letter.
    Wow, the president really likes crossing that "T"!!!
  • cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Bank of America National Trust and Savings Association of San Francisco is long as well.

Here's a large-size Aquidneck:

http://currency.ha.com/common/...31022&Lot_No=20261

By the way, here is our discussion of this same topic from a few years back. According to MEC2, Rye National Bank is the shortest. I'm not sure if we're counting spaces and state names in these.

My website: RICurrency.com
  • gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Cinch, imho, you can't count the spaces or the state (unless it's part of the bank's name), but you can count the city name -- if it's also attached. So I would argue that it has to include "of" [city name]. Bank of America does not, whereas the Aquidneck note does.

I checked the Smithsonian's large-size proofs for the B of A, Charter 13044. But the bank went by a shorter name then. The currency gets smaller, the name gets longer -- go figure!

Intrigued by all things intaglio.