Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

RIP Joe Garagiola

Met him at my very first red sox game at Fenway on September 1st, 1976 when I was seven. Was with my parents and my dad spotted him in the stands when we were walking to our $7 (yes, $7) box seats prior to the game; my dad said "Hey Joe, how's Barbara Walters?!?!" He replied "She's a six million dollar woman!" (I believe she had just signed a big contract with nbc although I doubt it was that much--the six million dollar man was a popular show back then so he was just being funny). My dad and I still talk about this meeting even to this day and we both remember his line verbatim; he also signed my program for me on the cover which has a great shot of a 37 year old yaz. What's ironic is Joe was only 50 that day, just three years older than I am now. How time #%÷& flies!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertai...aster-dies-90-37878607

Edited to add: For those who bothered to read what I wrote, I was wrong--found the program and ticket from the game and the ticket price was $5, not $7 so even better--not bad for a box seat to a day game that only 19,130 people attended!

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya David

Sad day - one of my favorites.
    Mike
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was close friends with Yogi. IIRC they grew up in the same neighborhood. Farewell Joe.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Did not know about this. He was a great baseball personanality from my childhood.

Good journey, Sir. I hope the grass is fresh where you'll be playing.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    Sad news, a great baseball guy

RIP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    RIP Mr. G.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    He and Tony Kubek were a big part of my childhood, hearing them do play by play on the NBC game of the week. RIP Joe.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PSASAP

He and Tony Kubek were a big part of my childhood, hearing them do play by play on the NBC game of the week. RIP Joe.

this

RIP

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Recently got this back from my last sub. He was a good personality...

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan

this

RIP

IMF

Me, too. What a happy, enthusiastic guy to have announcing MLB. Doesn't seem that long ago, and yet .... Very sad. RIP Joe. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY
    He was close friends with Yogi. IIRC they grew up in the same neighborhood. Farewell Joe.

When I heard Mr. Garagiola passed the first thing I saw in my mind was Yogi standing in heaven looking at him and saying "Where ya been?"
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Huge part of my childhood. I must have read "Baseball is a Funny Game" at least a dozen times. His call of Bernie Carbo's home run in the 1975 World Series was classic - "Deep center field. Way back. We're tied up".

Also loved watching him do the dog show in his later years. What a great man.

RIP.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

one of my favorite quotes from him years back..."Nolan Ryan is pitching much better since he straightened out his curve ball!!!"
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Brought fun to every game he called. One of my favorites. Thanks Joe.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Became a Mattingly fan when watching Saturday afternoon baseball listening to him and Vin Scully.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan

this

RIP

IMF

Me three-- RIP to one of the really good guys.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball