Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

56 Mantle Mail Day

Just got this beauty in the mail today, officially making it the pinnacle of my collection.

I have been seeing this cards price rising in the past 12 months like with many other high graded vintage star cards. Just a year ago, it was about a 4.5K card and now it looks like its about to reach the 8k level on average (and still climbing). Heck, I remember further down the road when this card was even selling in the 3's and I'm just talking about back in 2013-14. So I decided it was time to sell some stuff that I can live without or get back at another time and jump after this one before it becomes out of my reach.

Yes, I see that it does have the black print dot on the top right (which is common for the 56 Mantle and I know some are not too fond of that but let me just say that it certainly doesn't take away from the overall attractiveness of this card itself - Especially when holding in hand. The centering is perfect and I personally did not want a copy that had a rough cut like many other versions.

With that said, I am very glad and fortunate to now own the 56 Topps Mantle.

Comments

• Options
    That is an awesome card, congrats!! 56T is my favorite Mantle card, hands down. And in an 8?? WOW.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful card and nice pickup. Glad you were able to grab a nice one for your collection.
  • Options
    b-e-a-utiful

Makes me sad that I sold my 56 PSA 7... Kids though... they make you do things you wouldn't normally do.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking card, congrats!
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wow, Marc! Congrats on the pickup - a super conditioned specimen of one of the all time iconic cards.
    Daniel
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Marc,

That is an awesome Mantle!! I was wondering what you were up to when you were offering all those other cards for sale a few weeks ago...LOL

Jeremy
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! You hit a grand slam with that pickup. Congrats.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card! I checked VCP data all the way back to 2004, and the card bounced around between $1,800 and $3,800 with not much rhyme or reason all the way up to 2014. On 5/21/14, PWCC sold one for $6,085. Prices moved up a bit but still in the $3,500 to $5,000 range. The only examples over $6K were all from PWCC. On 4/16/15, price started being consistently higher than $5,000. 7/9/2015, price higher than $6,000. 10/18/2015, REA $8,400.00. 12/24/2015 triplesssinc $10,500. That still seems to be the highest.
  • Options
    Super card.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    What a beauty!! Congratulations!

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card, congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    NIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    That is an awesome card, congrats!! 56T is my favorite Mantle card, hands down. And in an 8?? WOW.

• Options
    Thanks for the kind comments.

Lately I feel that these boards have gone almost completely downhill and we need to bring it back with good topics and share new pick ups along with fun stories and share pictures of our collections/cards which is why I joined these boards a few years ago but I feel we have lost our focus. So let's refocus and try and make these boards fun again.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Marc, the card is amazing!!! I know how much you appreciate the qualities of that card. Congrats again, my friend. Also, I agree about injecting some positive hobby discussion here.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 56 Mantle!

I bought mine (SGC-92) in a Mile High card auction a few years back for ~$3800. Like yours, it also has the print dot in the top border...but the centering, registration, rich colors, and corners made up for the small print flaw. I had the chance of seeing the SGC-92 in person at a National in Cleveland...and comparing it to two other 56 Mantles (SGC-96 and PSA-8) in an upcoming Mile High auction...and the SGC-92 just had better eye appeal despite the print dot.

Congrats on the pickup...very good eye appeal as well!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW Marc ... what an AMAZING looking card. Enjoy it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card. Def one of my favorites. And IMHO smart to get the high quality, high grades while you can. Seems there are less and less available. I left for about the last 4 months and....wow. And ugh..
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Truly outstanding card. I wouldn't have noticed the black print dot right away unless you mentioned it
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dnice

Lately I feel that these boards have gone almost completely downhill and we need to bring it back with good topics and share new pick ups along with fun stories and share pictures of our collections/cards which is why I joined these boards a few years ago but I feel we have lost our focus. So let's refocus and try and make these boards fun again.

I agree, bro. Well said, truly.

I join everyone in sincerely congratulating you on a flat out gorgeous acquisition. The last of the big boy Topps Mickey Mantles, and Topps did a perfect Mickey! I never, ever tire of looking at that card.

I gather from your busy work of selling off some lesser wanted cards, you pulled the neat trick of turning many cards into one great card. A most fulfilling piece of work, all the way around.

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    Outstanding card. Pleasure to see. Definitely worthy of being called a monster. In a good way.
  • Options
    Thank you all once again for the comments. Also please don't think it's about bragging, its simply me just being excited about my new card acquisition. I have even shared showing off a $100 card that I was happy to add to my PC at the time.

And yes Indiana - I use to have a bunch of $80-$350 dollar cards but while I watched those cards go up respectively about $15-30 dollars over a 6 month period, I was also realizing that cards with higher grades (and which are in higher demand) were not only increasing in value at higher levels but also increasing a lot more times within the same period. The decisions have been tough at times as to what to part ways with sometimes but in the end, I was always satisfied with the final outcome.

I encourage everyone to take a look at their collection today and re-evaluate and see what you can live without and go get that big card you have been wanting whether its $1000 or $10,000. Make it happen before it gets too expensive and becomes fully out of your reach. You can always pick up another 89 Upperdeck Griffey rookie PSA 10 or another 82 Ripken Rookie in a 10 in the future and it will probably be for around the same price too you sold yours for too. I promise image
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    It never, ever entered my mind that you were bragging, bro. I don't have that exquisite card, but I am truly happy for you and you SHOULD be ecstatic, and what better place to share, than with us.

Thanks for enlightening us on your modus operandi of turning many cards into one card. My own experience of doing this in 1989 turned out to be one of the highlights of my collecting life. I applaud your encouraging others to follow the same course of action to land that deeply desired blue diamond card. For me, and for thee, there was no other way to get that dream card sent my way! I shan't regale the tale, but it's in my newly-released book on postwar regional / food issues of 1947 - 1971, entitled, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. I will say this, my own sea story involves the same player as this thread is about.

Anyways, continue to bask in the glow of getting this super Mickey. I feel certain as you probably do that its upside is nowhere near its limit. That baby's got a long way to go, provided the economy doesn't "gutter", a word I just coined cause it unfortunately may fit!

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card Marc! Great addition to your collection. You should be super excited!!! And I fully agree- use what you can to get the bigger stuff and replace the smaller stuff later. It's a lot easier to come up with $100 than $1000.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    This whole thread is outstanding. Nothing negative; just friends sharing the excitement of a great addition to a collection. And, most all of us love cards of The Mick and this card in particular.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.