Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shouldn't a card that has "altered stock" still be labeled "AUTH" ?

I have a vintage Topps HOF RC with some kind of a surface issue. It is difficult to tell if someone used a black magic marker, or tried to scrub the surface with something, or what happened to it. Other than this small, dime sized spot, the card is approximately EX, and definitely genuine.

My question is, if I use the below $1999 service level, and I enter AUTH for the minimum grade, is there any reason the card would not be slabbed?

Thank you for your thoughts...
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I guess that is one of the drawbacks of my usual delayed-gratification approach to waiting for my submissions to arrive in the mail before checking the grades....

I guess I will resubmit it and clearly indicate that I want it to be slabbed as Authentic, if not grade will be given.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    You could email customer support before the grades pop and give them the order# and instructions that you want it slabbed even if "authentic" is the minimum grade.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Greg, hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your question ... would this be the same if PSA deemed the card to be recolored? I had a '64 Topps Standup returned unholdered because of this. There was a slight touch of marker on the side of the card. Doesn't even look like someone tried to recolor it ... just a small touch of a black marker ... and there isn't even any black color on the original card! If this was sent back to be slabbed AUTHENTIC, do you think they would?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mjohnatgt
    Well, the black marker should be labeled with a MK designator if the intent wasn't to deceive.

If I just wanted it graded "Authentic", do you think they would even if they thought the marker was used to try to deceive?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the PSA grader believes there is intent to deceive, the card will be labeled "Authentic - Recolored". Otherwise, it will be labeled with an appropriate numerical grade plus the (MK) qualifier.

• Options
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn
    If the PSA grader believes there is intent to deceive, the card will be labeled "Authentic - Recolored". Otherwise, it will be labeled with an appropriate numerical grade plus the (MK) qualifier.

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, but when I sent in my '64 Stand Ups they sent one back unslabbed ... with a sticker that it was recolored.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, but when I sent in my '64 Stand Ups they sent one back unslabbed ... with a sticker that it was recolored.

They sometimes, but don't always, label and holder a card that was recolored if it wasn't specifically requested. I usually tend to include the following note on my sub forms: "Please assign a numerical grade to each item whenever possible. If for some reason a numerical grade cannot be assigned to a particular item, please then label that item as Authentic as a 2nd option and seal in a holder instead of returning it raw/ungraded. Thank you." This results in altered cards being labeled as such, rather than being sent back in their CS1's.

• Options
    Thank you so much for the response and the language that you use. I will try that next time.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug