Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

White Whale Concert Ticket Style

This is a big one for me, and most collectors who collect concert tickets. It's been a "White' Whale" of mine for sometime now and I finally landed it !!

There is a story that goes along with the purchase of the ticket, but I'll leave that for another time.

On Oct. 20, 1977, legendary Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd's tour plane crashed in Mississippi, killing six, including lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and his sister, backup singer Cassie Gaines. This is the ticket to the last concert they would ever perform on October 19, 1977.

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick up. I'm sure there are not many of those around. I remember $6 concerts. I saw Skynyrd in May 1976 Columbia SC.

James
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Love that ticket. Some of those old concert tickets like this one are super tough.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys. I actually bought this ticket with a group of other Skynyrd tickets including one from 1974, twelve from 1975, about 8 from 1976, and the rest from 1977, including one cancelled show at Madison Square Garden on 11/10/77.

The seller actually sent me a counterfeit ticket the first time, and when I contacted him. He said he had another one in a photo display that he would send me, which is the one pictured. I actually think the guy had no idea, he didn't seem to be a ticket collector, just a guy with a bunch of Skynyrd stuff. He also sent me several back stage passes and some Skynyrd sew on patches. LOL.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Very cool pickup!
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a fantastic piece of rock history memorabilia. I love how is says Wed'day on it.

This reminds me how of this and future generations will not have ticket stubs for souvenirs as most of the entries to shows now are from paper 'tickets' printed at home or scans from cell phones. Too bad. I treasure my concert ticket stub collection from my youth.
    Daniel
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great snag but one thing worries me in that $6.00 tickets were the norm in the '73 - '74 era. By 1977 they were priced higher. Possibly East Coast influence though.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gonzer

That's a great snag but one thing worries me in that $6.00 tickets were the norm in the '73 - '74 era. By 1977 they were priced higher. Possibly East Coast influence though.

$6 tickets were the norm in 1976-77 on the east coast.

James
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice pick up, congrats

what's the story? gotta be a good one
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: baseballfan
    nice pick up, congrats

what's the story? gotta be a good one

It's in the second paragraph of my last post. The seller (in my opinion) unknowingly sent me a ticket that had been reproduced. When I contacted him about he took a ticket he had framed with other Skynyrd memorabilia and sent it to me ( the ticket pictured above). Really not that great of a story, but a long ordeal that finally turned out okay.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    sorry I missed that in the first pass through the thread, either way it worked out for you
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Freebird!!!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    I live about 3 miles from the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium site. It was imploded in 1997. A new arena more that twice it's size was built across from it. This was a very historic concert. Congrats on the find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKy3nDYV-Ig