Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1928 B $20 Richmond FRN question

Hello, being new here I decided to just throw my question out there and see what comes back. I have a 1928 B Richmond $20 FRN that has a serial number lower than the listed start number(s) in the KP 10th Edition small currency. My note has the number of E08599260A. It is the light vivid yellow green seal variety. I'm not thinking this note is some grand expectation $$ wise, just trying to figure it out and see if it would call for republishing the start number for this series? If I was smart enough to figure out how to post pictures I would include it here also. I read that the little picture frame is where this comes into play, but it is asking for a URL ? Now I'm showing my lack of knowledge here image

I appreciate any help that could be offered, curiousity is getting the better of me for an answer.

Comments

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Your note is clearly a LGS. The seal color change on most of the 1928 series notes occurred in September 1932. Your note was delivered September 19, 1933.

Richmond is one of the scarcer districts, so you have a great note. E08280001A is the lowest possible number for the Richmond 1928B LGS notes.

BTW, welcome aboard.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the information, and the welcome. Is it common to find numbers that aren't published? Not that it matters, but I had a chance at the same series 1928 B Richmond $20 FRN that had a number that exceeded the published high for the series. What are the chances of that in the same week?
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the SN's listed in the book are of observed notes vs. official BEP printed ranges. Always super cool to find a note outside of the published range. There is an email address listed in the book where you can reach out and send a scan of your note.
  • Options
    Thank you for that info, I just found it. Go figure I tried several means with no or little response. That being from the BEP, Secret Service (BEP sent me to them), numismaster.com (no reply), even Krause Publishing direct (no reply). Even tried a couple grading services, only one reply, they use the same book(s) I do. So I will give that email a try and see where it goes.
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the madness......ohhhh,the humanity! Finding new high/low serial numbers is a fairly common event.That stated,it's still cool to find a note you want and it happens to be a new high/low.In fact,it's also cool to find THE actual serial numbers (high/low)that are the listed in the book (it acts as a pedigree of sorts).I have dozens of new high/lows and many of THE high/lows listed.Most would agree that there's no increase in value for these notes with the exception of very low numbers(999 or lower)or something otherwise remarkable about it.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Well, finally have a reply from Scott Lindquist on this note! Here it is:

Hello Joe,

This represents a new low number for the LGS range than recorded in the 10th for the Richmond district. I have passed this on to Jim Hodgson whom found most of this data in the archives. I will let you know if he replies. It is a rare note in higher grade as only the G and J districts are available to any degree in CU and better.

Numismatic Regards,

Scott