Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1969 Rawlings promo cards ??? Any info ?

Anyone shed some light on this rare set from the late 60s ? Thanks
Checklist,distribution, variations..?

Comments

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    The only thing listed inthe Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards states: "1969 Rawling - How these cards were distubited is not certain today, nor is the extent of the series known. The approximately 3" x 5" black and white cards feature a protrait photo on the front, with a wide white border at the bottom that holds a facsimile autograph. The back has complete major and minor league stats, career highlights and a Rawlings ad. There are only two players listed.

Reggie Jackson NM 900.00 EX 450.00 VG 275.00
    Mickey Mantle NM 2500.00 EX 1250.00 VG 750.00

The information is from the 2009 catalog so I am sure the prices have changed. There is nothing listed in the card heading as promo. I hope this helps.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Thank so much...wondering if Reggie really exist... No Reggie collectors I know has ever seen one and Google searches come up blank .
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, a comprehensive checklist from 1997 of everything Reggie Jackson lists the card as a 1970. When it was added to the SCD guide it went in as a 1969 issue, presumably because 1969 would be better than 1970. In the 2006 edition Mickey Mantle was added to the checklist, presumably because if you're going to have a Jackson from 1969 you might as well have a Mantle too. I don't know what information was provided to SCD to add the 1969 listing, or to update the checklist in 2006 with the Mantle. Beckett lists only the Jackson.
  • I've seen photos of the mantle
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    The only other one I've seen is the Brooks Robinson on ebay. It's seems strange they would make a Reggie Jackson card after one season.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Not if you consider that Reggie hit 47 home runs in 1969 and at the All Star break appeared to be poised to make a run at Roger Maris' 61 HR season.
    Reggie was a young future superstar.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • I have been on the hunt for the reggie jackson for years now. It is one of three items that I don't own of cards made during his playing career. I do have a picture, front and back of the card that another reggie jackson collector has. I am trying to figure out how to upload it on here

art susi
  • i cant figure out how to load these images

art susi
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mightyjosie said:
    i cant figure out how to load these images

Just post the URL address to the item and I'll post it.

Mike
  • hi Mike, I have two pictures on my computer now.....how do i get an URL address for them

art susi

This is what I have so far.

The back sent was full size while the front is the thumbnail - I'm waiting for the full size front.

Mike
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a great card! When I was collecting Reggie a decade ago, this and the Reggie's Regiment membership card where my two toughest to find.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • mightyjosiemightyjosie Posts: 11
    edited January 25, 2018 6:42PM

art susi
  • mightyjosiemightyjosie Posts: 11
    edited January 25, 2018 6:42PM

here is the back.....

art susi
  • kidhoff, this isnt my card, its a photo of another collectors. Do you have one? Thats cool.....I am in the hunt for it. I have basically a museum in my basement lol of reggie jackson items made during his playing career. I was able to pick up the 1980 topps test coin

art susi
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Art, the one you have a picture of used to be mine, I sold it to the current owner when I broke up my collection years ago, in fact, I believe you got my 1980 Pepsi proofs.

You got a test coin? That's awesome, the rarest of the rare! It's great to see you on these boards.

Abe

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
    edited January 25, 2018 7:17PM

Art gave me a little better shot of the obverse.

Mike
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

curious as to how these cards were issued? were they sold with gloves?
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.