Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Chicago CPMX Show Thread

Just curious...who's going to/already been to/currently at CPMX, what are your thoughts as to attendance, selection, prices, any new acquisitions...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Comments

• Options
    weakest one I've ever seen as far as attendance and display booths but some nice stuff.
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Bad for world notes.
  • Options
    saw a bunch of 5 and 10k notes.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I went 0/3 at the auction last night.
  • Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    I was an onlooker last night. So, 0/0 but the budget is still a plus.image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Something tells me I'm glad I missed this one.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    The show was a lot busier today. Ended up making the show worthwhile.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Show was NOT good. Arrived at the show at 10:15 am on Friday and left before 2:30 after hitting each table. 1/1 in the auction. Won a graded district set (12 notes) of 1996 $20 with serial 504 for less than $400 all in. That is less than $33 each for 12 PCGS graded notes (6 -67PPQ, 5-66PPQ and 1-65 PPQ). If you are in the note for face and a $15 grading fee they would have cost more. Now I just wish there was something special to me about May 4.

• Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    May 4th is my twin daughter's birthday! And they are special notes you picked up. They are Star Wars notes. As my daughter's would tell you: "May the 4th be with you!"
  • Options
    Its cinquo de mayo eve lol
  • Options
    Could you share a dealer or two that had the 5 and 10k notes available?
    Thank you
    WI Nationals
  • Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Stacks had around 400 high denoms $500 & $1000's slabbed. They had 4 $5000 for sale and another on display for the next auction. Quite impressive array. They were. Busy most of the show selling them. Friday was a very good sales day. With far less dealers set than usual the buyers became more concentrated at each table. It looks like this could be the the last CPMX.
  • Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Another thought on the show. Because of the low amount of dealers, the aisles were 15-20 feet wide, no bumping into anyone. PMG was not slabbing at the show either, only PCGS. Auction went by very fast, little action.
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I went 0/1 on a note I used to own and wanted back, but the owner must have forgot that agreement. I didn't want to pay moon money for it, so I let it go, snif snif...
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: bkzoopapa

PMG was not slabbing at the show either, only PCGS.

I'm very disappointed at PMG for not doing more onsite grading at shows. They used to do it at Long Beach a number of years ago but have since decided to skip out on it. When I asked them about it they claim there isn't demand for it. BUT I personally know at least 5 guys who would use them for onsite grading at every show.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't want to give our opinion until we heard those of others. To put it kindly the show wasn't very good. Half the size of previous shows if not less, huge aisles to compensate for lack of dealer attendance, most stuff we were interested in had proud prices on it and parking was a pain. Not worth the drive even though we're only 3 hrs away. CPMX is hurting imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Parking was a pain. Aside from the tattoo convention going on across the street, the hotel was selling parking to spring break fliers from O'Hare.

If I am remembering events correctly, it was unclear whether there was even going to be a show this year and dealer reservations were not taken at last year's show.
  • Options
    Sounds like I didn't miss much on this one....
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy

Except for an Ontanagon piece of scrip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lettow

Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy

Except for an Ontanagon piece of scrip.

OK...you suck Jim.... Just had to ruin it didn't you... image

Nice pickup... but wait until you see what I should have in hand sometime next week. A note I thought I would never own.... I'll post a pic once it comes in.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade