Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is the 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan RC a good long-term investment

Do you think that total Pop numbers mean anything in the grand scheme of things? As of March 19th, 2016 there have been 25,319 Jordan Fleer RCs graded by PSA, BGS and SGC. 3,706 of them have been graded MINT and 680 of them have been graded GEM MINT or better by the big three. Those numbers will certainly increase as the card and '86-'87 Fleer unopened, although very expensive, are still fairly plentiful. There will be more graded, more MINTs and more GEM MINTs or better. Do you believe that prices are sustainable, or even gainable, in the long term, even though the card itself is not rare by any means? Does total card population make a difference, or is that moot because it's Jordan?

Comments

• Options
    There will never be enough Jordan to go around. People who weren't born when he was great are buying his cards. Each passing generation will be exposed to the fact he was one of the games most iconic players. More curious about how the ensuing generations treat Kobe. I think fluctuations in his high priced RC's will be more apparent.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Although I agree that demand can bring huge price increases (see the insane prices for Stephen Curry base RCs at the moment). But my question is more along the lines of, will the importance of limited supply eventually surpass demand? We all know the Curry phenomena will slow down and the cards will come back to earth. Will the same eventually happen with the Jordan RC when people start to realize that it's not a rare card, or will demand simply always outweigh the supply?
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what percentage of those in pop reports are crack out and resubs, I know if I had a BGS 9.5 I would crack it out in hopes of getting a PSA 10. Opening 86 Fleer basketball is a losing proposition unless you are extremely fortunate. Centering is all over the place in that set, so high grade 9 and 10s even fresh out of the pack are not plentiful. All that being said the card is iconic. I am glad I own one, I hope I never have to sell it and worry about its investment potential.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    The card has been out for 30 years. if people don't know that it's not "rare", they never will. Same thing for the '52 Mantle: it's been out for 64 years and it's anything but a rare card. But there is something going on that is pushing it and other cards into the stratosphere. I don't know, maybe certain sportcards have finally become the types of hard investment assets people buy (e.g. gold, art, coins, etc) to keep ahead of inflation. Or during volatile stock markets like we've seen over the last few months.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jordan is the most liquid valuable trading card that exists. The card has had a huge run from $1,200 in a PSA 9 to over $4,000. It certainly can go higher if the card market stays strong. This card is like buying an index fund for sports cards in my view that you get to see and touch. Pretty cool. Hind sight is 20/20 and I should have kept the one I purchased and reached into my bank account to buy more wrestling cards instead of selling it. Oh well.

• Options
    '86-'87 Jordan numbers - 25,319 graded/3,706 MINT/680 GEM MINT or better
    '52 Mantle numbers - 1,878 graded/7 MINT/3 GEM MINT or better

Anything but a rare card? There are nearly double the amount of MINT Jordans than total Mantles graded.
  • Options
    There was a PSA 9 Jordan RC on COMC. Their starting price was too high, but thanks to their offer and counter offer system we were able to quickly and efficiently strike a deal.
  • Options
    Mr. Dpeck seems to have a good handle on the basics of productive economic decisions.

And, personally, I am certain that there are vastly more people interested in participating in the chase for Jordan's most valuable assets as opposed to Mantle. Each of their iconic status is generally paralleled by the types of athletes they were and their followings. But, Jordan steps into a worldwide realm that Mantle will never find. In fact, he dominates it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

There was a PSA 9 Jordan RC on COMC. Their starting price was too high, but thanks to their offer and counter offer system we were able to quickly and efficiently strike a deal.

I I I saw that 9 listed. Made an offer on it and guy replied quickly and efficiently that it was just sold. He was super nice. And again, very quick and efficient in getting back to me.

Love COMC.

Edited: I snagged his 52 mantle though and was trying to bundle.

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Over the long haul it seems to be a great investment. Some of you are not thinking about the worldwide love for the NBA. Some deep pocket love for the NBA. This card will climb and climb over time.

I have sold more $1,000 plus NBA cards overseas than I do here.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck,

I do think though, to be fair, that you have to go much further back in your look at PSA 9 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan RC's to give people a more complete and accurate historical narrative.

I seem to recall that it was also in the $4000 range as far back as fifteen years ago, before dropping down to the $1200 range that you mention.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct. A PSA 10 was $30,000 at one point. That said it is like a large cap blue chip stock. For the most part you are going to ride with the sports card market.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The Jordan Star Rookie has risen in price more then the 86 Fleer. If PSA ever starts grading that card it might receive a further bump.

• Options
    Originally posted by: RedHeart54

The card has been out for 30 years. if people don't know that it's not "rare", they never will. Same thing for the '52 Mantle: it's been out for 64 years and it's anything but a rare card. But there is something going on that is pushing it and other cards into the stratosphere. I don't know, maybe certain sportcards have finally become the types of hard investment assets people buy (e.g. gold, art, coins, etc) to keep ahead of inflation. Or during volatile stock markets like we've seen over the last few months.

On a side note- the 52' Mantle (complete high series) are extremely rare! Topps pushed the high series at the time of the world series that year. It was a last minute idea to make this series. Long story short, topps ended getting countless returns from stores. The stores couldn't sell the cards. The baseball season was over and everyone moved onto football cards that time of the year.

Topps had a warehouse full of 52 high series cases sitting around until 1959. Which all those gem cases where dumped into the Atlantic ocean. Ahhh...just what if...every time that story gets me.

On the Jordan, IMO it's a solid investment. A mint 9 is what I'd go with. I feel this card will always go up in value. I've been collecting for 28ish years and this card continues to go up. 9's where about 1500ish 15yrs ago if I recall.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me offer a different take on this discussion. Yes, I have seen the Jordan rookie really high, then come down lower, and now it is on the rise again. However, how about this food for thought......collectors that actually saw Mickey Mantle play (not to be morbid or anything) are getting fewer and fewer each year. On the other hand, those of us that were kids when Michael Jordan captivated our imagination are middle aged now and can actually afford a Michael Jordan rookie. He is probably STILL the most popular basketball player on the planet and he has been retired for 13 years. I would say that Michael Jordan rookie cards are on the rise and will never come back down.

Having said that, I don't think a 1952 Topps Mantle will ever go down either. So, the argument becomes......which card can expect to see the greatest rate of increase. It remains to be seen, but I just believe that we are just seeing the start of the rise of the Michael Jordan rookie. I may be wrong, but that is my thinking anyway.

Shane

• Options
    I vote for 86F Jordan and 51B Mantle! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Any thoughts on 1986 Jordan PSA/Beckett 8 or 7 as investment? I'd think that as times goes on, these will have a larger population of potential buyers due to the lower price point. And an 8 or 7 is still a beautiful card.
  • Options
    So there are 233 Jordan PSA 10s as of this moment and one just sold for $25,000+. Is there another card on the planet that has a pop of 200+ that even sells for $1,000+? Serious question. I'm curious as to how this card can maintain these prices in the future when there are still many 10s to be popped.

Holy cow, back on topic!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I just want to take a minute to address the ridiculous manner in which everyone - and I mean everyone - behaved on this thread. Your opinion is always welcome, even if it's not popular, but there is a right and wrong way to express that opinion. If all you aim to do is instigate problems, you are not welcome to post - period.

And if you so disagree with a thread or topic, then don't participate. The thread is not for you then. Move on - don't create a scene.

Most importantly, everyone likes to sit around and comment on how the forum has gone down the drain and how others are derailing threads, but you're contributing to the problem with your continuous commentary on what's going on. If you truly want to help, stay on topic and ignore the chaos. There is no need to comment on the obvious and create 8 pages of absolute uselessness.

Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to a thread or the forum as a whole, then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings.

If you wish to continue on this forum, I advise you all to take your own advice. Quit posting pointless messages if they do not contribute or move the conversation forward. And if you have nothing nice to say, then just don't say anything at all. Move on. Otherwise, you are the problem and you are bringing this forum down.

Forum Admin

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com