Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Strange Best Offer on Ebay, possible scam

I received a strange best offer for a note on Ebay. rbryan95 offered $45.90 on a $399.00 note. I responded with a counter offer of $398.00 knowing that he wasn't serious. Immediately after I responded a warning popped up on my computer that stated a program wanted to run, but was not known by ebay and could cause harm to my computer (I'm running Windows 10...POS...eeerrr, errrrr, clearing my throat!). rbryan95 also has 0 feedback.

I'm not sure what happened or if this is a new scam, but I would be careful with these bogus offers. I didn't allow the program to run and so far my computer is fine.... well as fine as it can be since its a PC.

Info only and this may not be anything.

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    What a mess, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Are you sure it was through Ebay? It might of been a bogus link to a bogus website that looked like you were on Ebay. You put in Ebay login info, clicked the button and now it tried to install something on your PC. I would suggest you change your Ebay password immediately, just to be safe.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    I learned the hard way never to open Ebay through a link in an email message.
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy
    Are you sure it was through Ebay? It might of been a bogus link to a bogus website that looked like you were on Ebay. You put in Ebay login info, clicked the button and now it tried to install something on your PC. I would suggest you change your Ebay password immediately, just to be safe.

+1 redirect scam.
    Shut off your comp and remove the battery if a laptop.

Side note, I create a second user on my comp with no admin privleges and do all my work out of there so if MalWare attempts anything it is not allowed
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    it was an offer from my eBay messages. I was already logged into eBay. the offer was strange, zero feedback, and when I responded a program tried to install on my computer. I don't accept anything on my computer. still not sure what happened.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Sound like someone tried to load malware on your computer. Did you scan everything to make sure there is nothing harmful in the back ground ?
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mfontes
    it was an offer from my eBay messages. I was already logged into eBay. the offer was strange, zero feedback, and when I responded a program tried to install on my computer. I don't accept anything on my computer. still not sure what happened.

Report it to Ebay
  • Options
    Thank You for sharing. Coincidentally my eBay account was compromised just last night. I was notified through my registered email and did check to see that it was not bogus first. Then I immediately changed my password to a "strong" password, checked my Account info to see that it had not been changed and called eBay. They said that active accounts with high # 100% positive feedback are targets for hackers looking to scam other sellers on the site. If I were you I would check your acct. info and change your password as well, secret questions too and Call eBay for sure. Good Luck.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I create a second user on my comp with no admin privleges and do all my work out of there

I do the same, this really does protect you a bunch.