Mark Grace
Thurman Munson
Harlond Clift
Claude Ritchey
Joe DiMaggio
Kirby Puckett
Fielder Jones
Carney Lansford

Ol' Indian Bob Johnson's seasons may not have been as great as Ruth's, but Ruth's seasons were all over the place. One year he'd be the greatest ever, then the next year he'd just be awesome. And once or twice he even slid all the way down to great. No manager wants that. What they want is Indian Bob being very good year after year. With Ruth you have to keep working in October every year, you have to write a speech when you get inducted in the Hall of Fame, and on and on and on. But with Indian Bob, you win half your games every year, you get to go home in September and you don't even get pestered for autographs. THAT'S what managers want.

(The above players really are the most consistent players in history; I didn't just make the list up.)
This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Oh, pardon me, but I happen to live in a state where elected board of education members don't believe that baby dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark, don't believe that Creationism needs to be taught in school, and don't believe that Obama sold himself to support a drug habit. So my way of thinking will never quite match up with yours, sir.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dallasactuary

(The above players really are the most consistent players in history; I didn't just make the list up.)

What's the criteria? Consistent from game to game? From season to season?

Either way, an "inconsistent" baseball player could certainly be more valuable than a consistent one.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2
    Originally posted by: dallasactuary

What's the criteria? Consistent from game to game? From season to season?

Either way, an "inconsistent" baseball player could certainly be more valuable than a consistent one.

From season to season, using the standard deviation of the Win Shares.

And trust me, I know that "consistency" doesn't mean anything in evaluating how valuable a player is. This is PSASAP's list, not mine.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some pretty good players on that list. TWO DiMaggios!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved to watch Mark Grace hit.
    High average hitter, which still means something to some of us.lol.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does creationism and Noahs ark have to do with this discussion? By the way, Darwinism is just as much a matter of faith than creationism.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    What does creationism and Noahs ark have to do with this discussion?
    Creationism is just as relevant to a discussion of great baseball players as consistency is; maybe that was PSASAP's subtle way of admitting he was wrong? I don't know; I've given up trying to make sense of his posts.