Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has anyone seen this? Holy grail of 1970s unopened...

1971 Topps Baseball Wax Box

Any estimates on what it would bring? My guess would be $40,000.

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They also have a 1975 mini factory sealed case.

James
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, the one box that I need........ok, this thread has run its course, you can delete it now....ha....(and actually I wish you hadn't posted it for my own bank accts health) Because I've been away for months and am starting to get the itch again....uh oh...that box would be a good reentry into the hobby....
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it eclipse 50K with BP.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Very interested in what this goes for.
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    That's an expensive rip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: djr

Too bad it's offered via Heritage. I take any realized price w/ a grain of salt. They have the most opportunistic terms and conditions (illegal is most states).

Rule 21: The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and maybid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modifyany such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneeror its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors.

Despite that, I have found that for many of the items that I collect or pursue (primarily 1970s unopened and graded baseball) that the hammer prices at HA are generally lower than those at other auction houses for comparable items.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    100k......... Called it drop the mic
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Those kind of auction terms are ridiculous. Good for you for looking at the fine print and thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat
    They also have a 1975 mini factory sealed case.
    James

This is a deep auction with a lot of nice stuff especially gai graded items. I see the 75 mini case and there's a gai sealed 75 cello box.

The basketball run of gai 1986, gai 1987 and BBCE 1998 boxes. A Gretzky 79 BBCE box, a series 1 garbage pail and a few nice football racks.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammer drops on the '71 Topps Baseball Wax Box @ $77000 w/buyer's premium.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get it that this will stay sealed but just curious if generally speaking you can pull high grade cards from packs. A lot of the older rips I see on this board a large number of the cards are horribly off centered or have lots of standard print issues. With black borders I would think a major hurdle is simply the handling and storage of the cards that contribute to lower grades.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

I get it that this will stay sealed but just curious if generally speaking you can pull high grade cards from packs. A lot of the older rips I see on this board a large number of the cards are horribly off centered or have lots of standard print issues. With black borders I would think a major hurdle is simply the handling and storage of the cards that contribute to lower grades.

Virtually all of the PSA 10s in my sets from 1972-1981 were pulled by me from packs and self-submitted to PSA. It is certainly possible but not easy and some issues are more difficult than others.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    If I was wealthy, I'd buy the box and rip it. Would love the feeling of trying to pull a gem mint Nolan Ryan...

Realistically, you rip this box and how many PSA 10s you think you could get out of it? These black beauties are notoriously off-center and corners can soften with a gust of wind. Out of 24 packs, I would like to guess you could pull maybe 15 possible 10s and countless 9s.

What if...

I offer up my ripping services if anyone on CU buys this box and wants it ripped. I will even do it free of charge!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    There would be one PSA 10 if you are lucky.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1954

I like to have some wishful thinking...maybe this was the one box that got packed when the cutters had just been calibrated...
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls

They sold for $4,200-$7,000 in 2008. image

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    18 days remaining and already at $32,000! Thinking my $40,000 guess may be have a bit low...
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dragnet

18 days remaining and already at $32,000! Thinking my $40,000 guess may be have a bit low...

Read this thread late. What happened here? Did the original box not get sold? Why has no-one mentioned this box is NOT BBCE certified. Anyone can re-seal a box. What did I miss here?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sdub

Read this thread late. What happened here? Did the original box not get sold? Why has no-one mentioned this box is NOT BBCE certified. Anyone can re-seal a box. What did I miss here?

Reviewed and factory sealed by Steve Hart/Baseball card Exchange.

look at the back of the box
  • Options
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

Reviewed and factory sealed by Steve Hart/Baseball card Exchange.

look at the back of the box

OK, thanks, I missed that. Is this the box that was sold previously? Non-paying bidder?

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    BBCE had a 1975 Topps mini wax case at the National for $50,000. For about a second I was tempted to go for it but I thought that was a lot of cash to put in to one case of cards. I am curious to see what they will go for at auction.
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

Did buyer not pay? Is this the same one that is for sale again?

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1954

There could be less. Or there could be more.

But I highly doubt anyone seriously bidding here is doing so with the intentions of ripping this box.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2

They sold for $4,200-$7,000 in 2008. image

It is amazing how much these have climbed in a few years. I was at the 1st live auction by hunt when these were sold. Steve won them all on the phone, I was underbidder image I was also the underbidder via phone bids on most of them in the other auction. not that I would have kept them but I would have kept some. pure insanity.

What scared me the most was that while they had about 5 clean boxes in each of 2 auctions , they also had large lots of semi moisture damaged packs that I inspected at the live auction. They also had completely water damaged soiled packs that they were selling in the monthly auctions for a while.

For full disclosure, I believe Steve opened one of the boxes and the cards were fine but that was not a gamble I wanted to take. I also believe he pulled a psa 9 ryan which paid for the box at the time

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

sdub- I think that 77 grand was an estimate on what it would bring,
    as all the other numbers posted.
    I find this thread really confusing myself, so I hope I'm right about that.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were getting a box of this stature wrapped I would take copious photos of the packs beforehand. I can't believe people are fine with breaking the bank and having no idea whether the box is pieced together or real. I understand it not mattering much for investment purposes, but as a collector I'd like to actually know what I'm getting.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

If I were getting a box of this stature wrapped I would take copious photos of the packs beforehand. I can't believe people are fine with breaking the bank and having no idea whether the box is pieced together or real. I understand it not mattering much for investment purposes, but as a collector I'd like to actually know what I'm getting.

This ×1000.

Excellent point dave. I can't figure out why steve wouldn't do this before he wraps the box or how people are willing to fork over upwards of 100k or even more bidding on a box (not just this one, any high ticket one) that's wrapped in plastic without even knowing what the packs look like; its blind buying as far as I'm concerned and makes absolutely zero sense to me. If i'm going to bid aggressively for a bbce wrapped box, whether it's a 52 or a 71 or anything in between I want to see what I'm getting should I choose to remove the plastic wrap.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like getting a nice Frankenstein box full of random packs. I have opened vendong boxes from 1974, 1975, and 1976 back in the day(late 90's), and the centering was horrible. If I buy something like that 1971 box it is not seeing the light of day.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Nothing like getting a nice Frankenstein box full of random packs. I have opened vendong boxes from 1974, 1975, and 1976 back in the day(late 90's), and the centering was horrible. If I buy something like that 1971 box it is not seeing the light of day.

Another good point.

I know there are approximately 500 cards in a vending box but how many cards are in a vendong box?!?!image

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the problem is if the packs were photographed, you'd have only the seller's word that the photo actually goes with the box being sold. But I'm sure a system could be developed with matching markings on the photo and BBCE label. Also, if Steve were photographing the contents pre-wrapping, he could maintain a clearinghouse matching photos with serial numbers on the BBCE label.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mikelowell25
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

This ×1000.

Excellent point dave. I can't figure out why steve wouldn't do this before he wraps the box or how people are willing to fork over upwards of 100k or even more bidding on a box (not just this one, any high ticket one) that's wrapped in plastic without even knowing what the packs look like; its blind buying as far as I'm concerned and makes absolutely zero sense to me. If i'm going to bid aggressively for a bbce wrapped box, whether it's a 52 or a 71 or anything in between I want to see what I'm getting should I choose to remove the plastic wrap.

I am sure the auction house could send the box to Steve upon receiving the consignment, have him unwrap it and take the pictures and rewrap it for a couple hundred bucks for a box like this if the auction house thought it would make a difference. The reality is they have no incentive to do it since the boxes keep going for huge prices and people are willing to bid freely without seeing what is inside.

when steve had the 55 topps and bowman boxes, he had pictures of the packs posted before the boxes were wrapped so he is willing to do it for these types of items.

when he sold these 71 boxes for 10K, there was probably no reason to have pictures done. now that they are 50K, it probably makes sense