Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The PCGS Morgan Dollar Registry Weightings Are a Joke

Dear all,

Check out this thread over at the other site. You may find this interesting...

THREAD

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say- did you notice that the first four letters of your handle spell "evil" ? image

(Afraid I don't know zippety-doo-dah about Morgan weighting...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    The funny thing is that PCGS gives a one week "discussion" window. I don't remember seeing more than 2 or 3 people complain about the weights during that time. When PCGS changed the Washington quarter weights, there was such a riot that PCGS rehashed their view on varieties as mandatory set pieces.
    Keith ™

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    EVP........... and people call me a troublemaker! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Keith,

I sent a very detailed email to Mr. Hall with several specific examples regarding the Morgan Dollar weightings and even offered PCGS my system which is light years more accurate and covers both MS, PL, and DMPL coins, and his reply to me was basically that PCGS knows the system is not perfect.......duh!!!!!! Not only is not perfect, it's not even remotely close to being far from perfect.

Dragon
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    When a large number of members of this Forum join in a consensus , PCGS listens and make appropriate changes. No, they are not perfect ,but neither are we collectively. I like the Registry and I also wish NGC well with their set listings . People should bring their sets and list them wherever they are happy doing so. Maybe then we can leave the moaning and groaning to the R rated movies. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say- did you notice that the first four letters of your handle spell "evil" ?

Lord,

Yes, I noticed. But, I try not to be evil and just be in the EVillage.

EVP

• Options
    Dragon,

You sent an e-mail, but how many other sets did? When the Type collectors rioted over changes, we had most of the complete sets and dozens of others write e-mails to D Hall. Twice. PCGS did some mild revamps and we fought for changes again, and the second time around, they put up some sets that most people were happy with.

And you have to remember that the weighting system that PCGS is using is based on a single weight for a coin, regardless of grade. That won't change, but does create some issues. I understand that a Morgan may be a common date in MS-65 but ultra-rare in MS-67, but PCGS's system doesn't really take that into account.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Bear,

When I deal with NGC, or when I witness others deal with NGC, over on their site, I see that Dena, DWL, etc., actually respond. I like the overt attitude of their responses: ``thank you for your feedback, we know it is a problem, and we're trying to fix it. please keep the feedback coming and keep on top of us.''

I wish DH, et al, would make me feel my feedback is appreciated.

EVP

• Options
    Dragon I don't remember reading about Morgan Dollar weighting system. Can you post it again? Remember that PCGS has always been about set completion and series keys not "value" or "grading rarities". The Morgan collectors didn't really "rally" and demand changes.

• Options
    Keith,

It shouldn't require a mass revolt before DH, PCGS and CU respond constructively to a complaint. They may disagree or feel it is not a priority, but the response ought to be constructive.

One way to be constructive is to explain that they can't change the weighting just because of an individual. Create a poll, put out petitions, etc. Suggest that there is a venue for change, and suggest what that venue is.

EVP

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    EVP - The good thing about competition, is that it forces change to remain competative. I am sure customer service improvementsat PCGS will happen, I just hope that we are still alive to see it. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    EVP,

PCGS has said twice now that they are willing to change their weightings if enough people voice an opinion on a series. However, they will not change the core weighting, which is weight by slot and not grade.

Morgan collectors were not vocal on the boards and did not gather a united front. It does really help by letting PCGS know that people are willing to rally others to their cause. I set up some Type set polls on my own and was able to point out to PCGS that 35 people were willing to vote in my poll regarding key difference issues. Numbers are very meaningful to these guys.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Bear,

I agree with you about competition. I really do hope that all these services continue to strive to improve in their product to the customers (as opposed to simply maximizing short-term profit). In the end, I want as many top-tier services as the market can sustain. It'll be better that way for us.

EVP

• Options
    David Hall has always answered my e-mails. He also made alot of the changes collectors asked for. Sometimes he agrees with us other times he doesn't. David and Rick run the Registry and sometime have to make executive decisions that will not make "everyone" happy.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - the PCGS weighting system is an approximation that really only works for a set completed at the most collectable grade (because that's where the weights are set). But they aren't going to change it.

Yes - the PCGS Set Registry number one sets in most cases are not the finest sets in existance because an awful lot of sets just aren't going to limit themselves to just one slab holder. But they aren't going to change it.

Yes - getting coins crossed into PCGS holders is often times more about politics than the true grade of the coins. There are plenty of instances where a coin crosses after $1000 in submission fees or crosses after being cracked out of the offending holder. But they aren't going to change it.

Yes - there are a lot of things that PCGS could do that involve very little cost to make the collector and even the dealer feel wanted and appreciated. But they aren't going to change it.

Yes - as a result, CLCT stock is now trading at $1.08 after their IPO of $6 per share a few years ago. And as long as they ignore what it takes to be a successful business, THEY AREN'T GOING TO CHANGE IT!!!!!!!