Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on a few cards.

My dad is pulling the trigger on liquidating his collection, and I'm helping him go through everything to identify things for grading etc. I've already sent a bulk submission in as well as the 15 voucher items for the CC, but I've still got a ton of stuff to go through. Here are a few of the "better" cards I've come across, and was curious what everyone thought I could expect for grades on these. The Ryan and Erving I'm expecting 8's with a shot at 9. I read an article on the PSA site about the Erving, and that the print dot by the elbow shouldn't affect the grade, but is that true? Also the back centering is pretty far off. On the Starr, I'd expect a 6, although it presents closer to 7's I've looked at. Thanks for looking!

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    all 3 are worthy of grading.

The J E is very nice. Hope the PD doesn't affect it.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    The Bart Starr is a beauty. It is on my short list of must gets in a grade 8 or 9 at some point
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    wow some very nice cards. The Starr has something on the back of the card above Rote. Not sure what that is but that could keep it from grading above a 5 in my opinion. The Ryan looks amazing.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great looking cards. I'm going to refrain from guessing on the grades at the moment. The white print dot by the elbow does not preclude it from getting a 9. It is similar to the black line on the bottom of the Magic Bird in that way. Good luck with your sub and post some updates.
    Steve
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Yep, the mark on the back of the Starr is a stain of some kind. It's actually part of a set. The Hornung is very nice, Unitas and Berry have centering issues. At least whatever it is didn't bleed through or anything, and didn't affect the structure of the card. It's been fun going through all his stuff. I'd forgotten how much he had and it's a heck of a chore going through it all. A 5000 count box full of nothing but 57's and 58's, a 54/55 hockey set, and 57 basketball set for starters. Both of those are fairly rough, but the Howe is pretty nice. I'll keep posting updates with how things turn out and if I find more gems.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Incredible cards! I think the Dr. J has a really nice shot at a 9 if the back centering does not impact the grade much. My understanding for a 9 is the back centering can be 90/10 so hopefully that would be ok. I think the beautiful centering on the front should trump the back though.
  • Options
    I always take a close look at Dr J's hair when determining if the quality of any example is worth a high grade. I've had sharp examples come back as PSA NM 7 with all other attributes intact, but the hair was faded.

Your card looks good there, however......the oil spot between Doc's right ear and shoulder might drag it down.

Would love to see them out of the sleeves, where tiny imperfections become more evident. Great cards, nonetheless. Good luck with grading.
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice Cards.
    The Erving stain will kill it if they notice it. I've seen worse get through on commons but probably not on a card like Erving.
    Those stains are pretty common on 1971 & 72 Basketball. I've had them come back
    as straight 5's & 6's and also with the Qualifier. I think you are looking at an 8 with
    a Qualifier.
    The Ryan is sweet but the bottom right corner is going to hurt. Looks soft on the back scan.
    Like others have said stain on the back of the Starr will hurt. But I love the front centering
    on that card.
    Great Cards! Have fun going through everything.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    Well the verdict is in. A really good, a somewhat bad, an a downright head scratcher. I don't have the cards in hand yet, but here's what's posted...

Erving - 9. Awesome!

Starr - 4. Disappointing, but understandable with that stain, but still thought 5 min.

Ryan/Koosman - 5.5. Ugh, what? I just don't see what could possibly warrant that grade. I scrutinized the surface for wrinkles, and see nothing that would explain such a low grade. I'll have to look again when it gets back.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either PSA made a mistake or you missed a wrinkle in the Ryan. Beautiful card.

9 on the Erving is fantastic!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    That's the only thing I can think, but it must really be hidden if so...
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9 on the Erving is incredible. Big card there.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Good to be wrong. Grats on Doc.