Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

long time ebay sellers; what's going on?;

edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
Many of my go-to sites for modern issue graded coins/sets seem to be MIA, or on holiday.

Anybody know what's up with Coin Diva or SH Coins.
Several other sites seem to have reduced their modern common graded offerings.

Thanks

(l8-)>>

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at their completed sales, you can sell graded coins for less than their grading fees for only so long.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call eBay customer service and complain to them that all the best eBay sellers are leaving due to the horrible way the sellers are treated by eBay customer service.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

Looking at their completed sales, you can sell graded coins for less than their grading fees for only so long.

Yep. Losing a little on every sale, but making it up in volume works until you choke on the volume.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN
    Originally posted by: derryb

Yep. Losing a little on every sale, but making it up in volume works until you choke on the volume.

…or spew on the rhetoric.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both were using practices that are against eBay many rules might come into play.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its no surprise if these are cupro nickel coins. People will not pay the money on them and auction starting at 99c might get 10-20% of Market Value. Whatever you do have free shipping on your auctions you start cheap but cover shipping cost plus a couple of dollars. If you charge shipping some guy will buy a bunch of them for chump change then want a total for combined shipping. I have had trouble selling cupro nickel PF 69 25c which catalog for $25 (these were PCGS slabs I am into at $5 as part of collection I bought. I will start them at $9.95 with free shipping listing them 2 more times if they do not sell. Many times no bids. People will not even pay slab cost for these. I have won MS69 and PF69DC mod dollars for BV + $15 or less. Have won MS69 ASE for as little as $12 over melt (that is la premium over BV less than slab cost lol!). Whats happened the slab cost has started to eat the mod dealers lunch. People will not bid 70's way up and will snag 69's if the premium over melt is less than slab cost. Its not surprise to me, I never believed these guys were making much money anyhow. They were buying USM products which come 69-70 and marking them way up after slabbing - well the party is over. People after getting burned by HOF have cut back. I never was a buyer of their 70's any way except a few I got in auction cheap later on. For mods MS69 is good enough for me especially if close to melt. While I occasionally retail a coin on ebay, retail has been dead for sometime. I did retail a coin recently on the bay for 56% over cost I bought from another auction house. Only had it a couple of days. If your cupro nickel PCGS 69DC cost $5 take ($5.00 + $2.60 shipping cost)= $7.60 1.43 x $7.60 = $10.87, fudge up to $10.95 auction start with 30%+ margin. Markup the shipping cost like it is part of cost of coin. Ebay buyers love free shipping, I love giving it to them.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    shcoins has many Ebay ids. They're still selling under their shrc2012 and redbookcoins ids with many auctions.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    They've probably made too much money giving away coins to the nice people on eBay and retired.

• Options
    Been at it for 15 years on ebay and 40 years prior to ebay.

Got this letter from them, today. image
    Plus I own 100 shares … image

Hi Joe,

Your seller level is now Below Standard in the Global and US seller performance programs.

While your seller level is Below Standard, funds from your sales may be pending in PayPal for up to 21 days. The search ranking for your items will be lowered, and you may be restricted from selling on eBay if your selling performance doesn’t improve.

Check your Seller Dashboard to see your current seller performance. We'll highlight areas that you can improve on to help you bounce back.
  • Options
    Now what did you do Joe?

I think the big sellers leaving is helping me.

When I list PCGS PR70DCAM modern proofs for $9.99 I might get one bid.
    Now they are going for $10.49.

I'm filling a void in the marketplace.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe more collectors are reading these boards than we think? :-)
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

shcoins has many Ebay ids. They're still selling under their shrc2012 and redbookcoins ids with many auctions.

They also have Coinedout ID.

• Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    Now what did you do Joe?

I think the big sellers leaving is helping me.

When I list PCGS PR70DCAM modern proofs for $9.99 I might get one bid.
    Now they are going for $10.49.

I'm filling a void in the marketplace.

It's not what I did. It's who I am. They're making me money, one way or another. Looks like we are in it together for the long haul.

And here's a funny "catch"

Your seller level

Current seller level
    Below Standard
    As of Feb 20, 2016

If we evaluated you today
    Your seller level would be
    Above Standard
    Next evaluation on Mar 20, 2016

Transaction defect rate
    1.24%
    8 of 646 transactions

Late shipment rate
    0.49%
    3 of 609 transactions

Cases closed without seller resolution
    0.46%
    3 of 646 transactions

Tracking uploaded on time and validated
    95.36%
    616 of 646 transactions

Transactions and sales
    transactions

I've been under people's and entities' scrutiny since the first doctor slapped my ass.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    They cracked out all the coins and ran them through a CoinStar to save money.
  • Options
    Offered a guy 2% more than coin star not long ago. Made 8 %. And he used an Uber driver to find me image
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    Been at it for 15 years on ebay and 40 years prior to ebay.

Got this letter from them, today. image
    Plus I own 100 shares … image

Hi Joe,

Your seller level is now Below Standard in the Global and US seller performance programs.

While your seller level is Below Standard, funds from your sales may be pending in PayPal for up to 21 days. The search ranking for your items will be lowered, and you may be restricted from selling on eBay if your selling performance doesn’t improve.

Check your Seller Dashboard to see your current seller performance. We'll highlight areas that you can improve on to help you bounce back.

image I thought slavery went underground... These people have been after me to become a seller for years. glad I didn't take the bait. Thanks for all the responses.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    You can run a report to see which 8 transactions had defects.

They have new rules now where defects are only canceling a transaction because you can't ship the item, or if you don't resolved a customers case and eBay has to get involved.

That's probably why you go back up for March.

I have 1 defect for canceling a transaction. IE likes to jump around on the selling form and I listed a $1200 coin for $12 and 3 minutes later somebody did a BIN.

I also have 3 late transactions all on one day. I don't know if I took the day off from running to the post office, or the PO screwed up.
  • Options
    Edgar, it's not the worst venue, but it's a corporate sort of slavery that exists between your profits and losses. The market (ebay) has been tough, but it's still a thriving market. Purchased an incubator the other day and have 47 chicks due…. at least I can still buy there without problems. Also waiting on some stained glass that I ordered there, too. I would not recommend NOT using them, as an entity. Today's customers are way pickier and finicky. The other algorithms that ebay set up which caused me defects were listing errors where I had to cancel auctions or lose my shorts. In the long run I just get slapped around for a few months , again. Like a probationary period or detention after school.
  • Options
    So, you guys want to read a funny tale from ebay ?

It starts with this lowly bicentennial proof set in a damaged outer box and one capsule that was cracked at the rim. The coins , as you can see are about normal for proofs that begin to haze over time.

So I mail the item out which sold for about $14 plus $3 S/H. For all intents and purposes , let's call it a $20 deal.

Now after 3 days the item arrived and the subsequent correspondences were beyond ridicule, insulting, demeaning and unfounded; the buyer actually got his money returned AND kept my coins. Go figure. And ebay GIGS me over fixing my own "defects".

Enjoy the read. I will omit the buyer's name to protect his innocence or guilt. Whatever image

It goes as follows :

Recieved Coin Set Today To ~Find not As ~Discribed Holder ~Dry -Rotted And Fell Apart During Shippment Case on ~Kennedy Arrived Cracked . . .Set Tossed In Cheap -Report -Card Style ~Envelope Not Even -Padded Found Small Piece of ~Bubble Wrap In -PackAge A real -careLess -Pack Job !. . . ~Like To Resolve So I Called -Local Coin shop he has Holders For Set & Clear lenses ~For A "Total Of $6- ~Dollars & A Loss Of My Time So How ~Bout A -Rebate On This Sour ~Deal Ive Got Stuff From you Before No Issue So how About Working With me And So I Don't Have To Open A Case And Waste More Time = -Gee ~WiZzZ~ ! !

So, I respond with :

" I'd be happy to reimburse you the purchase price plus shipping upon return. The case was described as damaged. Thanks for your understanding. "

Next day I get this message :

~JUST TRYING TO SAVE TRIP TO ~POST OFFICE . . . AGAIN KEN HALF -POPPED OUT OF HOLDER -FINE YOU WANT THE SHORT -END OF STICK ILL SEND IT TO YA-

I replied :

"Thank you."

Later that evening this message appeared :

IF I KNEW YOUR ~FEEDBACKS SHOWED A "HISTORY OF DISAPOINTMENTS ID SHOPPED `ELSEWHERE. . .~FOLKS TELLING OF FRANKLINS THAT -DIDNT "LOOK LIKE PICTURES & A -PURCHASE OF FOREIGN COIN -LOT = MOSTLY "WORTHLESS "TOKENS ! & I DIDNT ~EVEN GET AN APOLIGY -FOR MY SHIPMENT OF COINS WITH `BROKEN CASE AND ~DRY "ROTTEN HOLDER WITCH STUNK LIKE -MOLD ! . . I HAVE EXTRA COIN CASES THAT COST A DOLLAR A -PIECE AND FREQUENT A COIN SHOP THAT SELLS -HOLDERS AT $5- DOLLARS EACH -BUT YOU WORKED AGAINST ME AND MY -REQUEST AS IM -PULLING A TRICK OR SOMETHING. . . I `BREED HORSES AND COULD -BUY YOU OUT WITH MY SUPERMARKET CHECK BOOK ! ~SO THANKS FOR THE HASSEL AND ~DISAPOINTMENTS ~FEED-BACK WILL ~EXPOSE YOU AGAIN USING E'BAY TO UNLOAD YOUR JUNK !

Amused and a bit taken aback, insulted and even angry I sent this message :
    "Keep up with the insults and hear from my attorney, along with ebay. I don't need your trouble. Keep the coins and do not bid on my items. "

Then comes the funniest part to me , since EBAY holds some candle to me:

IF YOU ~HAD THE "MONEY -FOR AN ATTORNEY YOU WOULDN'T ~BE JIPPING ~FOLKS ON ~E'BAY !

And finally I responded with this and never heard another word, nor feedback.

" You've got all your money back, along with some fairly decent coins that I found to be cameo, whether you believe that , or not is not my concern. And your claims about me "JIPPING" people are unfounded. Farewell."

So, in light of the question about WHERE all the ebay sellers of coins might go … Well, you can read why many of us just shrug our shoulders.

I am out the $15 I paid for the set. Plus I am out the coins. Ebay took their pay (fees) . Pay Pal got their 3%. The USPS got their money and everyone did a fine job, but me. image C'est la vie.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    as a seller I feel your pain, no matter what you do, the buyer feels "ripped off" even when he gets everything for free, he still feels that hes been ripped off, and then he wonders where all the good sellers go. is it really a wonder ? is there anything to really wonder about ? ya cant give everything away and pay the fees while doing it and still pay the bills. ebay and paypal have made it impossible for the honest seller to make a buck, and if you do make a buck, its a three way split, 1/3rd to ebay 1/3rd to paypal and 1/3 to the dishonest buyer that claims he didn't get the package because you cant afford to offer free shipping on a 99c item and pay for delivery confirmation.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been under people's and entities' scrutiny since the first doctor slapped my ass.

Hmmmmm ......there have been others?? image

Sorry - couldn't resist.image

Just sent a coin to a 1st time buyer with "0" feedbacks - can't wait to see how this one turns out....... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

So, you guys want to read a funny tale from ebay ?

I have had a few of these stories lately as well. One buyer claimed that the silver Panda that I purchased straight from the authorized reseller on the dealer network was fake. She went into excruciating detail about the bear's hear detail on the hind-leg, the detail differences in the pupils versus another coin she had (probably fake), and so many other ridiculous details.

I offered a full refund including that I pay for return shipping. I also offered that I would give her $100 if she sent the coins to PCGS and they came back as counterfeit. I think that really pissed her off as I have not hear anything since the last (very polite) message to her.

People on eBay and Amazon are getting dumber and dumber. I think that all of the cellular and wireless waves in the air a cooking people's brains. Probably not far from the truth.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file