Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Patient (not really) Anticipation

So, a friend of mine who knows I collect old sports stuff had mentioned a couple years back that his brother had some old cards also...but he didn't really know exactly what and I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to last weekend, when this same friend says he just took a look at his brothers cards, which he said he had bought back in college and just put away. Now, recognize that this friend is about 60 or so (and his brother close to that) and you'll understand why that got my attention. So, first he says that he has a really sharp Clemente rookie which they were googling it to see what it might be worth. Now, this friend or his brother aren't familiar with the current state of card collecting, grading, PSA etc. etc. so I had to interrogate him a bit on the Clemente to see if he really had a rookie (which it seems they do based on description/year etc.) Then, he says that his brother also saved a bunch of unopened boxes from the early 70's and that he had sealed 'sets' from 70, 71 etc. I said ok, these couldn't be sets, since they didn't have a single series set box until 74...so, I asked him were these perhaps boxes of individual wax packs...to which he said...oh yeah, that's what they are...After picking up my jaw from the floor I told him that his brother may be sitting on a high dollar collection and that I would help him sort out what he has and help him get top dollar should he want to sell (I mentioned BBCE verification/wrapping etc and other ways to maximize value)....He then said something about his brother opening a few for fun, to which I emphatically said...NOOOOOO! Please tell him not to do that!

Anyhow, I told him I would come by and advise him on what he's got and help direct him to get the most out of them...Just waiting...in "patient anticipation" until I can get over there to see truly what he's got...

Comments

• Options
    Ask your doctor if Xanax is right for you. ;-)
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I bet that he went to college when he was in his 30s/40s and the Clemente rookie turns out to be a 2001 Topps Archives Clemente, and the 1970s boxes are actually from the late 1980s. That's how it usually turns out, anyway. ;-)
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    MLB- you are right...half of me is still expecting to see some prime 80's Topps and Donruss...

But the other half is hoping for something more like this...image

imageimage
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2

I bet that he went to college when he was in his 30s/40s and the Clemente rookie turns out to be a 2001 Topps Archives Clemente, and the 1970s boxes are actually from the late 1980s. That's how it usually turns out, anyway. ;-)

Yup, sounds about right - we can always hope that this guy is referencing a small treasure hoard...but we have heard these stories way too often.

You'll have to take pics if you can - then post them here!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience recently which ended quite well. Just waiting for PSA to make their decision image. Hope it turns out great, sending good karma!