Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advanced Overton Help Needed. 1809 O-102

On the 1809 XXX edge...specifically the O-102, if there are die cracks (above United States of America and the 2 around the date), can this still be an XXX edge, or are all the O-102a examples plain edge..... and thus common with no premium?

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intermediate die state 102/102a coins (obverse die crack but not the reverse) are known to have the plain edge, so my opinion would be no XXX on yours.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two in the intermediate die state (no reverse die crack). One is XXX and the other isn't. Go figure.

Lance.
  • Options
    To answer your question directly, O.102a's (with cracks, both sides) are not XXX-edge. As OKbustchaser is saying, when the cracks around the date developed plain edge planchets were used.

I have one intermediate die state exception and I believe forum member drddm has another. So maybe there were some stray XXX planchets in the bucket. Or maybe the cutover to plain edge planets didn't happen exactly when the obverse cracks occurred.

Lance.
  • Options
    1809 O-102a

As noted on my 102a page, there is an MS63 in a PCGS holder with the XXX designation. Not all of slabbed 1809's have been checked prior to being slabbed, so there are likely many XXX or III edge coins to be discovered out there. And it could be possible to even find an XXX or III that is supposed to be a plain edge and versa visa...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Here are the best shots I could get of the rims...so what's the verdict?

• Options
    xxx's are between dollar and fifty. if its covered you need to pull out the hammer....
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• Options
    Thanks. I have to admit, 09's are my weak point. So only between Dollar and Fifty? This looks like the tail end of Dollar here, and above you can see that Cents starts just left of the date, so I guess maybe half of the space between Dollar and Fifty are covered.

• Options
    Go Here

and scroll down to the last photo, which has what you would be looking for....bunch of chicken scratches actually...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• Options
    Originally posted by: maibockaddict

Go Here

and scroll down to the last photo, which has what you would be looking for....bunch of chicken scratches actually...

Thanks. I've seen that before...thing is, looking through this holder, I almost want to believe the circulation ticks are the scratches. I must be wishful thinking at this point?
  • Options
    I can't tell you from that image. The lettering is not very clear itself, nevermind the money section. Get some strong lighting and a high powered glass. Remember, the marks should look like random hits, not actual XXXX's
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• Options
    Originally posted by: maibockaddict

I can't tell you from that image. The lettering is not very clear itself, nevermind the money section. Get some strong lighting and a high powered glass. Remember, the marks should look like random hits, not actual XXXX's
    Dave's right on the money.

Here's a shot of the chicken scratch. This is from an O.110.

Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file