Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp from the Wybrit Collection

Well mostly I got blown out, too many coins going for double estimates. But there were a few reasonably priced pieces.

1850/30 Sixpence. I thought this one was really nicely toned and it's a little scarcer date.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Job, Jeff. I had a computer glitch and got booted off my connection several times but got a bargain on the 1851 shilling - thank you Wybrit! Also the 1882 shilling at MS66, very nice!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats- wonderful coins. I thought the shillings did very well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about these yet congrats to Wybrit for putting such an impressive collection together and Jeff and 7Jaguars now owning a piece of it.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful 6d.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, wow factor x 10 (in a scale from 1 to 10)!

Since I couldn't really afford anything I was really interested at, except perhaps the 1/3 farthing 1902 PCGS MS64RED, I've placed a modest bid on wybrit's 1950 proof set, coins in choice-gem proof condition, uncertified but plaed in a Capital Plastics holder, my favorite presntation way for sets.

And yes, I got it (for just a few dollars less than $100). I'm now trying to convince the Customer Service, to include it IN THE SAME PARCEL with 8 currency lots won last Tuesday, all paid for, down to the shipping fees. You'd think that it's not that complicated right? WRONG. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    CHEERS to all of the folks on here who picked up coins from Wybrit's sale yesterday. I watched the live auction for a few minutes just to possibly get one piece to add to my farthing or half penny collections. I wanted to add a bit of fanciness to my copper collections, I guess. I came in while they were doing the six pence pieces and just had to laugh after about three minutes. The stuff was too nice and everything seemed to blow by $500 in under a minute.

That 1950 set is a bargain in my opinion, Syracusian.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Also, I wish that there was a Wybrit name on the Capitol Plastics holder. That would be even more neat.
  • Options
    Also, I wish that there was a Wybrit name on the Capitol Plastics holder. That would be even more neat.

I can always take his icon, photoshop it a little,print it on suitable sticky paper and then stick it to some upper or lower corner of the set. image

I too know it was a bargain Nick. The last such set sold at Heritage, had been ...." NGC certified" by some genius, who paid 9x$30 (at the economy level) = $270 to get grades from 65 RB to 65 with the Scottish shilling at 66, I think, and it sold for slightly less than the grading fees. I'm much happier with the set in its nice Capital Plastic holder, I have various Greek post WW2 sets in such Custom made Capital holders too, that I came across by accident and I might even order a few more ,made to measure, with minimum writing on them, such as this one, and just the proper holes in it.

But, the ESSENCE of wybrit's collection, was at least a coin such as the one that Jeff won. The buyer of my 1862 1/4d PCGS MS65RD, told me that he too bid on some items, but that he was blown away, and I can tell you straight away that he's a discerning collector without apparent financial problems and a frequent customer of Atlas as I've noticed in his feedback. Which means,that he doesn't even bother to go to Atlas'website himsef to save the ebay fees, he just BINs the items he comes across as he sees fit.

A BIG CONGRATS TO WYBRIT who's now probably wetting his toe on some Carribean island, with a nice Mojito in one hand and ...whatever you can imagine in the other. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SYRACUSIAN, Nice proof set! image
  • Options
    Thank you.image

Heritage finally included it with my last banknotes (10) won last Tuesday and it's already on its way.

The minute the 1850/30 sixpence reaches Jeff's hands, I'd like to see a better image. Definitely nicely toned, but these images usually lack in luster.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1850 6P is a neat newp - like it alot! image

I can always take his icon, photoshop it a little,print it on suitable sticky paper and then stick it to some upper or lower corner of the set. just DO IT! image
  • Options
    Yes, a gorgeously toned specimen, like so many of the Victorian coins in this fabulous collection.

By the way, does anyone know why it was called The Cambridge Gate Collection?

I was like a child let loose in a sweetie shop and managed to buy my favourites and a few others as well. I have added the NGC rarities to my NGC Registry set ( poldan )imageand am likely to try for crossover on most of the PCGS MS66 Registry leaders.

Prices were high but hey guys these were truly choice and in most cases RARE coins.