Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ebay returns

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you have a no return policy on eBay, do you have to take a return?

I know that a buyer can do a SNAD claim, BUT ......

What if the seller (me) has extremely detailed photographs of both sides of the coin and both sides of the PCGS slab with (4) large photos total.

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a no return policy listed, then no you don't have to take a return.

But if the buyer wants to return it, they just open a SNAD case and ship it back at your expense and leave negative FB.

Some sellers will win if they dispute the SNAD.

The other 999 out of 1000 will be forced by eBay to refund the customer since they advertise their Money Back Guarantee on every auction listing.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just take returns and be done with it? There is not a major store in this country that does not take returns, why should eBay be any different. Also, the ONLY problems I have had with coins on eBay are from sellers who list no returns. I no longer even look at those listings.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    You do not have to accept a remorse return, BUT...

Smart coin sellers will set their return period at 14 days, but it is best to always accept a remorse return up until the time when feedback is no longer available to the buyer. Bad buyers can hurt you in multiple ways, and feepay will not necessarily have your back as small sellers are little more than cannon fodder for feepay's growth struggle.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take the return. you're only be out the shipping if that.

Not worth the fight or the possible neg feedback. If buyer deserves to be blocked post his ID.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Misread the question. Sorry
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ebaytrader

Ya, I know it is a remorse return, BUT ....

He claims it is a SNAD which is untrue.

I like truth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ErrorsOnCoins

I like truth.

You can report the buyer for misusing returns. In 14 years of selling on eBay I've probably had about 10 returns. If somebody wants to return something, I don't care. I just get my coin and give them their money back.

I don't see any reason not to offer a return privilege

Last year I did get a return and another seller here (IIRC it was redactedimage ) got a return from the same buyer. Both were toned Morgan's about $400 each. The guy probably just spent more than he could afford. He opened the returns with the "Changed Mind" option and paid for the return shipping.

We both reported him and he got NARU'd.

A SNAD is no longer a defect. It is only a defect if you don't give them their money back and eBay has to get involved. So there is no reason to not offer returns.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    The eBay return policy is pointless so you might as well just offer 14 day returns and move on.

Only the coin auction houses get away with not offering returns.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like truth.

Unfortunately, the jury that will decide your fate doesn't always go with the truth. Make the return, block the buyer and send me his ID.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Returns I experience are very infrequent. I take returns as a matter of good business strategy, and competitive edge on those who do not.

Many returns can be bc of buyers remorse (they found what they think is a better deal somewhere else) and when ebay soon goes to the 30 day return policy I believe this will increase. Buyer buys your coin hoping for TPG upgrade, it does not upgrade, he then gets it back in time to return it to you.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    We both reported him and he got NARU'd.

eBay does not kick people off for returning items, especially when he paid to have it returned to you. Why did you report him? You offered a return, he marked it as changed mind, which is his right. Why is that a reason to report a buyer? May I have your eBay ID so that I don't accidentally buy from you?

• Options
    Abusing returns is a reason to be NARU'd.
    Who knows how many more times he did it.

It would be easier for you to give me your handle so I can block you so you don't get any great deals by accident.
  • Options

So why did you report him for returning an item, being honest about the reasons and paying the shipping? Abusing return privileges is when they constantly mark it not as described, so that they don't have to pay return shipping. Simply returning a coin he does not like is no reason to report a buyer.

Toned Morgans very rarely look the same as the seller's images, and only a fool would buy one on eBay without a return privilege. He didn't like it and returned it. Seems innocent enough to me.
  • Options
    Since it is so important to you, I found the original post I made.
    As it wasn't a major event in my life, I did get some details wrong in this thread.

Everything else occurred via PM so you'll just have to use your imagination for the rest of the story on what happened.

I got an email from eBay about a buyer returning a coin. But I'm glad he selected
    Reason for return: It's the wrong size or doesn't fit

I rarely get returns, but the weasels usually select the Item Not As Described so they get all their money back plus don't have to pay for return shipping.

Maybe eBay doesn't give many choices? It seems like "Changed Mind" would be a good option.

I charged him $5.50 for S/H and it cost me $7.58 with insurance and signature confirmation on a $350 coin, so it only cost me $2.08 for him to look at it.
    If somebody wants to return a coin I don't have a problem with giving them their money back but I'm happy he selected an honest reason - or as close as eBay defines the choices.
  • Options
    I sell regularly on Ebay and I offer a no questions asked return policy. In 4 years, having sold over 2K coins (or listings, some with multiple coins obviously), I could count on 1 hand how many returns I have had... TOTAL.

I can assure you, that if you are using great photos, large ones that truly give the in-hand appearance of the coin, there is no reason not to offer returns.... you wont get many of them at all.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I took the return.

Ebay has a screwy system as I could not even send a message.

Oh and the kicker, I did not know that I had to pay return shipping.

I decided NOT to call eBay customer service as they are not only useless but try to piss you off by not using logic.

First not as described in 16 years of selling so I did not know how it worked.

• Options
    oh and one more thing ........

Detailed photography can be a bad thing.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detailed photography can be a bad thing.I think you make a viable point here. I've seen some attractive coins/cards listed with normal size pixs. Then I expanded the photo size and the bloom fell off the rose. Same with my sportscards searches. Magnifying the pix size is a pos./neg. depending on your POV.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY

Detailed photography can be a bad thing.I think you make a viable point here. I've seen some attractive coins/cards listed with normal size pixs. Then I expanded the photo size and the bloom fell off the rose. Same with my sportscards searches. Magnifying the pix size is a pos./neg. depending on your POV.

Actually, it was the exact opposite of that. No defects, just details of a cool brockage that I guess someone possible viewed as a double strike?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me I would just refund the money and move forward. Don't sweat the small stuff in life.
    It's tough but it's just the way of the world, eBay world that is.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mercurydimeguy
    The eBay return policy is pointless so you might as well just offer 14 day returns and move on.

Only the coin auction houses get away with not offering returns.

I am wondering if ebay can force HA to accept return since HA is also on ebay some time but HA don't take paypal so I don't know.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the title I thought this was the announcement of some sort of movie.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had VERY few returns, and have always offered the maximum return period. A couple of times I've had so called "SNAD" returns... Neither time did the returner know they had other options - in one case, the buyer was told by eBay (according to them) to do it that way.

Out of less than 10 returns since 1998, I've blocked a couple of the returners because I didn't like their attitude, always waiting 'til after the expiry of the feedback period. A few of them have become good, solid repeat customers.

One a$$hat left me a neg after I went overboard (and he even admitted to not looking at my photos) to take his return. I put him on my watch list, as he is also a seller, and one day I'm going to buy one of his items and return the favor. Revenge is a dish best served cold image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file