Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Scrapes along the top of holder, Re-Holder advice

Hi there, so a couple of my 1902 Reform, Alabama & Goodwater, Alabama notes have scraping along the top of the holders. Neither notes are gem level, but being quite rare i'd like to keep the holders looking new.

I notice after some time these holders have scraping on the label, as well as the plastic can scratch. I was wondering what's the best option to getting them re-holdered? Wait till PCGS is at a show nearby? Do I have to pay membership fees to send them in? Thanks in advance. Couple photos of the holder, (note the scraping of label top)

Does this grind anyone else's gears, or just my own?

Thanks, Ted

http://s411.photobucket.com/us...sflopk4gk.jpg.html?o=0

http://s411.photobucket.com/us...sfm5gdxry.jpg.html?o=1

Rare Nationals &
Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals

Comments

• Options
    Ted 1, I'd start with a phone call to them or an email. They are very helpful and can explain all options open to you.

==

You can reach PCGS Currency customer service at 309-222-8200.

Alternatively, you can email: info@pcgscurrency.com

Mail:

PCGS-C

P.O. Box 10470

Peoria, IL 61612-0470

Sorry I don't know if you have to be a member to have a note re-holdered.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Here you go. Click on the framed picture, next to the U option, and paste your link in the pop-up box.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool note, great bank name!!
  • Options
    It's hard to imagine why you would want a note that is that low grade, and apparent at that, holdered in the first place.
  • Options
    Wizard1Wizard1 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Borchgrave
    It's hard to imagine why you would want a note that is that low grade, and apparent at that, holdered in the first place.

Same reason why people grade common notes and coins. There's a reason, its just unbeknownst to most. #MakeDonaldDrump*****ain
    Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

http://www.wizard1.ca

MAKE DONALD DRUMPF AGAIN! http://tinyurl.com/z5uju34 STOP THE DEVOLUTION OF AMERICA

• Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭

Well, the Goodman,AL note is a quite uncommon banknote; besides it may have other value that Ted 1 didn't share with us; he was only asking opinions. Let's be cool and cut him a little slack; besides I have a few notes that are really "woefully wretched" grades but have great significance to me.

Retired

• Options
    Wizard1Wizard1 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Clearly GoodWater holds some meaning to Ted 1, as he has another GoodWater note as his Avatar
    Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

http://www.wizard1.ca

MAKE DONALD DRUMPF AGAIN! http://tinyurl.com/z5uju34 STOP THE DEVOLUTION OF AMERICA

• Options
    Beat up notes are awesome! I just bought this one. image

• Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    Won't bore anyone with the story behind this note; but it deserved preservation.

==

==

Retired

• Options
    Beautiful! I have always loved that design, and the large seal is really nice!
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Borchgrave, welcome to the Forum. Please take time to introduce yourself, let folks know what you collect, and even post a note or two!

As for your question, there are many reasons someone would grade a low-grade note. Among them are authentication, confirmation that the note has not been altered, and preservation. An extremely rare note might be graded in order to protect it from further wear and, if being sold, to eliminate disputes between buyer and seller on the condition of the note, minimizing chances of returns. Then there are collectors who have a note with special meaning; I've got one--a wallet note--that was left to me by my wife's grandfather; I've stuck it away for grading at some point in time. If not for the lineage it is not a note that I'd dream of grading:

While most collectors grade notes with the hope of getting back top pop, off-the-charts value notes, or at least gem quality grades which will boost sales value well beyond the cost for grading, others have different reasons.

• Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    Borchgrave:

Goodwater is the locale of my Grandfather's childhood home. He passed when I was very young (3)

We all have different goals in collecting. I would rather have a rare note in Good 4 ANY DAY and ALL DAY than a Fr. 60 Bracelet Back or Fr. 91 Woodchopper in Gem 67, just my two cents.

"Just plain rare" would come to mind with this note, in my book

Rare Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    Apparently you don't have to be a member for re-holder. So that's good news. Going to send off 4 or 5 notes, I believe the price is 6 dollars a note.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    vonbraunvonbraun Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Chips on top of pcgs holders , green sharpie . Be careful not to hit the light green area . Works wonders
  • Options
    holdered notes are needed for registry sets. And there are low ball sets as well.
  • Options
    You are 100% correct, this is a rare note. I appreciate your family history. What I just don't understand is why you (or anyone else) would spend good money to have a low grade note with obvious problems graded, when you could have just bought a really nice holder and put it in that. The rarity of the note is not increased by having it graded. All that happens in such a situation is that your money leaves your pocket and goes to a grading company. Having this note graded is just a waste of money.
  • Options
    By your logic, grading any note is a waste of money, since you said it adds no value. So why get anything graded at all? It's called preservation.
    Rare Nationals &

• Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit

Hey Tooky you collect such a wide variety of stuff! Never know what you will end up with next. image
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I personally won't send anything for grading unless I'm confident that it will make at least a fine 12. That grade sets the bar for me but then again I don't usually have anything too rare.
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Not that I am one. But on the coin side over my years I have come to encounter the "dark side" that aims for the lowest grade of whatever they decide, or can get their hands on. They actually have bidding wars where possible, to see who can get the coin. I would think in some twisted way it works, and likely is no different for the currency line as well.
  • Options
    I did not suggest at all that grading notes does not add value. I said that grading your low grade note does not have any value. Clearly when a note is a high grade and there might be a discrepancy about the grade, then grading is of clear value. But your note is so low grade that the grading is a waste of money. Anyone can see the grade of your note, and the grade of your note has no importance anyway because it is so low grade. The value of your note is based on the rarity of the bank, not the grade. As far a "preservation" is concerned, how is spending $35+ to grade your note enhancing its preservation? You could buy a high quality archival holder for less than $1 and your note would be equally well preserved.
  • Options
    agree: go with a green sharpie marker
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    No way Greg. I would just leave it. Who cares if the edge gets worn away. I personally don't like the worn holders, but I wouldn't use a sharpie image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: larry510

Originally posted by: Tookybandit

Hey Tooky you collect such a wide variety of stuff! Never know what you will end up with next. image

I'm all over the place. Sometimes I'll pick up a note that seems to be selling for way too cheap! Most often, I just find stuff that looks way cool and I've gotta get it!!
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes rare notes are only available (or at least affordable) in low grade.

Better a low grade note than no note at all.

This is only a low grade VG8, but is just one of two recorded, and is required to complete the BGS star set. Better a beat up note than a hole in the collection.

I paid $100 for this note, and jumped at it when I saw it.

• Options
    Cool Star Luckybucks!
  • Options
    Ted 1, keep us in the loop and share the new holders when they return. It's always good to preserve family heirlooms and special momentos. They will always have value!!

Retired