Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipping large value cards.

A question for anyone shipping large value (i.e. $10,000+) items sold on EBay. What shipping service USPS, UPS, or FedEx do you folks find most reliable and economical? Do you alway buy insurance and is one service known to have the best pricing for large value items. I thought I read USPS insures maximum $5000. Thoughts on good or bad experiences much appreciated.
On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS insurance maximum is 5K for priority or express. Registered mail, which is the safest, if not the quickest method of shipping, provides insurance coverage of up to 50K, I believe.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    USPS Registered Mail is very slow, but it's the absolute safest, and it's actually rather cheap vs other insured shipping methods. $10k should cost about $40 or so.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    USPS Registered. Slow, but very secure.

• Options
    Thanks guys. Great info.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Fed ex express. My insurance (collectibles) covers it if shipped that way

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a few thieves at the usps. Most employees are fantastic.

Registered mail must be signed (traceable) by everyone that touches the package.

They all know nobody messes with registered. It is by far the safest way.

Very slow.

There are packaging requirements that are different than priority and 1st class.

All seems must be covered with brown shipping tape.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I think they 86'd that brown tape, but I could be wrong. It's really a pain, but I understand why they required it.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    When you guys say "very slow" how slow is it compared to Priority 1-3 Day Mail?
  • Options
    I waited 5 days in one location for a registered package.

apparently nobody had signed it to move on

minimum of one week if that all ok and often more
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I waited 5 days in one location for a registered package.

apparently nobody had signed it to move on

minimum of one week if that all ok and often more
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I concur that Registered Mail is the safest way to go. It is a little slower than First Class and Priority, but only by a few days.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Its so slow due to the mood of the carrier if they want to sign for it that day and continue the delivery process. If they don't feel like signing for it they leave it for another day. IMO its the only safe way with them. So many stories of "lost" items. Ive had registered items sitting for over 2 weeks but usually its an extra week but safer.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Everyone here has been very helpful. The forum is a great resource. I have been out of the hobby for few years but jumping in with both feet again the past few weeks and enjoying every minute. I look forward to contributing some of my knowledge when appropriate.
  • Options
    Curious to this as well.

What carrier did you end up using?

How did it go?

And without revealing too much info, other than $10K+, how did you insure?

I've been told once you hit the $25K+ threshold that the insurance w/ carriers is quite extensive and to use an outside insurance company for pricing sake.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    I checked one time as to why it takes so long for registered and I got this explanation. All packages go by ground. If it has to go any distance that takes a while with everyone needing to sign along the way. They do not send it by air because the pilots won't sign for the packages because they can't see where it goes if they sign for it.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Options
    Yikes how many hands and transfers do you think we are talking?

From previous experience, I am a strong proponent of the less number of hands on a package, the better.

I know Four Sharp Corners switches from USPS to UPS/FEDEX on orders exceeding $1,000.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    So I ended up using FedEx for a PSA 9 O Pee Chee Gretzky rookie I sold on Ebay. The card sold for $23,200 so I obviously wanted the card delivered in the most secure fashion. I was shocked to learn that you can only buy up to $1000 in insurance with FedEx, but that was the buyers preferred method. You can fall back on a collectible insurance policy if you have one. I sent it Priority overnight (fastest). Took it to Fedex at 7:30 pm knowing they had an 8pm pickup and buyer had it in hand at noon the next day. Fewer hands the better and nobody had time to sit around looking at the package wondering what was inside. Went smooth. I would use it again and Ebay offers a nice discount if you print the label at home through Ebay account. I am going to sell a PSA 9 Topps Gretzky rookie on Ebay soon and will likely do the same method.
  • Options
    "I was shocked to learn that you can only buy up to $1000 in insurance with FedEx, but that was the buyers preferred method."

Too funny. I know exactly who bought it...71c10! And FedEx is surely his go to. Nice card!